Confused about file sharing in Leopard

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
There are 4 Macs on our network, all on Tiger except one that's on Leopard.

In Tiger you could go network, click on the relevant machine, put in the password and have full access to the computer.

In Leopard the machines are listed in the sidebar, but clicking on them just gives you a folder called 'Sharepoint' and clicking that gives you 'DropBox'. Clicking on the Drop Box gives you an error saying you don't have sufficient privilages.

The Tiger machines can delve into the Leopard machine no problem.

What's going on with this weird new Leopard way of doing things?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
When clicking on a computer, you only login with guest access. By default, Leopard only gives you access to write to the drop box, but not read it, which is why it says you don't have sufficient privileges. You have to click on "Connect As" in the upper right corner after clicking on the computer in order to input your username/password and get full access.

OP
Alexis
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
Aha!
You know, I never noticed the 'connect as' in the top right!

Thanks for your help! I feel silly now!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" White MacBook 2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 1GB RAM, 80GB HD.
Man that is good to know.

Reaction score
Same here

My leopard laptop can only see the fact there is a Tiger server on the network.
I don't get a choice of who to log on as and don't see any shared resources at all.
Oddly the Tiger Mac's shared drives are completely open to my XP computer.
Any chance of advice on how to view my shared stuff?
If I use Go- connect to server, after a long wait it confesses to failure.
If I click on the Tiger's icon in Finder I get an empt window with "Connected as VNC" at the top. Is there a way that I can connet to the shared resources using a protocol that works?
Help would be welcome.
I can see my Tiger's shared Itunes stuff on the Leopard fine.
Thanks

Frank.

Reaction score
more sharing

In Leopard if I click on the name of the shared Tiger computer i get an empty widow announcing I am "connected as VNC" The convenient button on the top right does not say "connect as", that would be too easy and enable me to impersonate one of the identities on the Tiger (which my login on the Leopard already is). No, my top right button says "share screen" which is a Leopard thing I understand, that lets you look at what's on the other computer's ...er ...screen. I waited to buy a computer with Leopard on it rather than sticking with Tiger. Big mistake. It appears that Microsoft's shared ownership of Apple is permeating into a shared culture of releasing Operating Systems that are still under development.

Frank.

Reaction score
In Leopard if I click on the name of the shared Tiger computer i get an empty widow announcing I am "connected as VNC" The convenient button on the top right does not say "connect as", that would be too easy and enable me to impersonate one of the identities on the Tiger (which my login on the Leopard already is). No, my top right button says "share screen" which is a Leopard thing I understand, that lets you look at what's on the other computer's ...er ...screen. I waited to buy a computer with Leopard on it rather than sticking with Tiger. Big mistake. It appears that Microsoft's shared ownership of Apple is permeating into a shared culture of releasing Operating Systems that are still under development.

Frank.
I ran into this today and discovered that I had forgotten to enable file sharing on the machine I was trying to connect to, hence MacOS only saw it via VNC. One I went to system preferences, sharing, and checked file sharing, it worked normally.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.