Moved my files now app can't open them

Reaction score
Hi. I installed a new HD on my Quick Silver G4 (128Gb HD). Copied all my music, photo's, documents etc on to the new bigger drive to free up space on my smaller drive (40Gb HD), which was screaming for space. I deleted the older files off the smaller drive.

All my files open when I go into the individual folders and double click them, but if I click (for example) the iTunes logo on the dock it opens iTunes but none of my music is in it. Same goes for iPhoto. The files are all there but they won't open in the application from the dock. How do I go about getting the Dock application Icon (ie. iTunes) to locate the music files. Same for iPhoto etc.

I've tried the Help section in OS X Tiger but that isn't very helpful.

I'm sure there has to be a simple answer but I just can't find it. Really grateful for any help.

Many thanks in advance.
O:) Reaperman

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Drag the files into iTunes/iPhoto.

OP
R
Reaction score
Drag the files into iTunes/iPhoto.

Hi lifeisabeach.
Sorry for not replying sooner but been on long shifts.

If I drag all my files back into iTunes etc they will be back on my 40Gb drive. I wanted to keep them on the 128Gb drive as I have lots of space.

I did find something on Apples site about transfering files from iTunes if adding a new HD. Looks like I will have to try that after I return everything back to normal.
Such a drag that there is no easy way to make iTunes look at my files on the new HD. That would have simplified things a lot.

Thanks again

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Do what lifesabeach suggested but before that do the following to iTunes and iPhoto.

In iTunes, open Preferences and go to the Advanced Tab and General and uncheck
Copy files to iTunes Music Folder when adding to Library". It will leave the files on your external drive and not add them back to the main drives iTunes folder.

In iPhoto open Preferences and the Advanced Tab. Uncheck "Copy files to iPhoto Library".

It will leave them on your external.

Picture 1.jpg

Picture 2.jpg

OP
R
Reaction score
Do what lifesabeach suggested but before that do the following to iTunes and iPhoto.

In iTunes, open Preferences and go to the Advanced Tab and General and uncheck
Copy files to iTunes Music Folder when adding to Library". It will leave the files on your external drive and not add them back to the main drives iTunes folder.

In iPhoto open Preferences and the Advanced Tab. Uncheck "Copy files to iPhoto Library".

It will leave them on your external.

Phhewww! Thank you. I still have a job on my hands dragging them across as albums but at least it does the job. My compilations unfortunately will have to be re-done as iTunes stores the individual tracks under folders for Artists name. I'm dragging individual albums because iTunes lumps them all together under one playlist otherwise.
Little bit of typing and all is going well. Should take a few hours. Then I have to connect my ipod and reset everything.
Thanks again for your help.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.