helllllllllllp

M

minimumboost

hello all im proud to say first off that im a new MAC owner, ive been using PC for over 15 years........ Well a school my wife works for decided to sell off there old macs and get new macs.....

i got my hands on one, its nothing fancy.

its a power macintosh G3 266mhz i belive..

ok so here is my problem it has something on it called AT EASE 3.0

i dont have any of the pass words for this so i cant really use the mac becasue it boots into this AT ease 3.0, how do i get rid of it?

can i re-format or delete the whole os and start fresh?

BTW im running mac os 8.6

well thanks for any help you all have

Tris

OP
M

minimumboost

yea there is an admin pass word when i try to disable it it wont let me into the ATEASE set-up control...
also when i try to bypass it, it asks me for an admin PW which i dont have....

arghhhhhhhhhhhhhh

where can i find the os 8.6 disks?

also can i run os X?

thanks
tris

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
A G3/266 can run everything from Mac OS 8.1 to Mac OS X 10.2.8 Jaguar. (Maybe more if you hack it.) Originally, it came with OS 8.1 disks; if you didn't get them with the system, you'll have to find some.

You can purchase legal copies of OS 8.5 or OS 9 from
http://www.applerescue.com/#os9
Upgrades from 8.5 thru 8.6 or from 9.0 thru 9.2.2 are free from Apple.

I'd suggest OS 9 for starters; only upgrade to OS X if you have more than 256 MB of memory (Otherwise it'll be really slow.) If you do upgrade to OS X, 10.2 Jaguar would be fastest.

OP
M

minimumboost

thanks alot guys

is there no other way to get the at ease app to stop running my mac without the PW?

OP
M

minimumboost

also i have DL's the updates to 8.6 from download.com, hwo can i get them from my PC to my mac (ive tried using a CD, but my mac syas it cant find the file that made the .bin file, or somthing to that extent). what can i use to get these files to the mac also when i get it there how do i install it?

and if i find the 8.6 os disks how do i run them with this AT EASE 3.0 crap running?

OP
E

evopanop

Hi,

I bought a G3 Blue & White off of eBay that was from a school, as well, and it also had the At East software on it. I just put in a Panther CD, booted up into the CD and reformatted the Hard Drive and installed Panther. Simple as that. 8.x was cryptic as heck anyway. I LOVE Panther. :D lol By the way, I'm also a long-time PC user. I am now currently in the process of completely switching over to Mac.

On another note, kind of OT, I went by a relative's house this weekend and picked up a Gigabit Ethernet G4 with Dual 450MHz Processors. So, I'm a happy camper. :p lol

OP
M

Matt

As someone said, you can run OS X upto OS 10.2.8 Jaguar, you COULD probably run Panther with XPOSTFACTO. There are a few nitchy things you have to be careful of though.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.