Which cd burner for iMac G3?

Reaction score
I have recently purchased an old but perfectly working imac g3, the only problem is that it only has a cd rom and i want to replace this with a cd burner, does anybody know which cd burner i need.
Many thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini 2.5 i5/16Gb/500Gb/Radeon 6630M-256MB
Easiest thing you can do if it's either the tray load or slot load, get an external drive....I've tracked down one replacement (DVD-RW) for the slot loading iMacs but it's not cheap.....and not exactly like dropping a drive into a PC tower...Also if you want to be able to boot off of the external drive, get one that connects via Firewire if your iMac has the ports.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
As nbrowsewr says got for an external with Firewire. Holy cow those iMac G3 take some skin off the knuckles changing HDD and optical drives as they are at the bottom of the pile.

You do not say where you are on your avatar, but look at sites such as eBay for external DVD burners as they will handle CD and CDRW as well as DVD's.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini 2.5 i5/16Gb/500Gb/Radeon 6630M-256MB
Tell me about it, was a pain just swapping in the larger HD I put into my slot loader....I am going to order the slot loading replacement DVD-RW drive at $160 us from a company down in the US of A just cause I"m an internal drive fan......and yes, scraped knuckles are the order of the day....I"m used to it, I work as an auto mechanic..... hehe if anyone wants the link lemme know as I have to drag it off of my Laptop.....

Reaction score
I have a Mac G3 with OS 9.2.2 (not an iMac G3). It is a rack mount G3 and has a read only internal CD in it. I know what you're thinking. I'm nuts and why not just upgrade. Here's the kicker. I'm using it exclusively for a Pro Tools system. It is hard to dump the system as it has a mass of dsp cards and it still gets me where I need to go. My question is.....is there a CD RW burner that will burn both audio and data that I can get and will work with this system? It has no fire wire or even USB. Ethernet port, serial ports and SCSI only. If there is a unit anyone knows of that will work....hopefully it can ribbon right into the old one or something like that. I would appreciate any info anyone might have.

Thanks.

DR

Reaction score
To cradom,

Thanks for the info. The huminoids at macsales are saying I need an IDE ribbon connection. I'm not a real tech head but I think that's a standard internal hard drive connection? Sound right?

Thanks again.

DR

Reaction score
Yup, standard IDE drive cable. Connect to the ATA controller, not the hard drive controller. Not sure exactly which G3 you have, if it's scsi check the specs for the ATA CD controller.
Should say something about Atapi controller.

Reaction score
I am rocking an old iMac g3 dvd "frost", updated to 10.4, and I recently acquired a Que! Fire cd-rw. I can't find a driver for it, and the discs it came with are for os9. Can anyone point me in the direction of an update? new driver? or should I pony up the $$ for a new DVD burner?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.