Disk Images? Virtual Drives?

Reaction score
I just changed from pc to mac and am a little lost...
On my pc to use a disk without the disk, you created an iso image, installed some sort of virtual drives, and mounted the image on the drive.
But I've been told that on mac you don't have to use any virtual drive, that finder will handle everything for you and mount it somehow?
So my question, if I use disk utility, the cd/dvd master option, and create a disk image of a cd or dvd, what extension should it have(iso,cdr,dmg), and is it true that I do not need anything else to utilize it? Thanks in advance

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Performa 6116 2GBSCSI 8MB OS 7.5.3
Actually disk utility will mount the image for you whether it's a cdr, iso or dmg. Depending on what type of image you create, when you double click it a small DU windows opens to show progress and then it mounts the drive in the Finder. You would see it on the left side of the Finder window or on the Desktop.

OP
C
Reaction score
Thanks a bunch, it mounts fine now. One final question if you happen to know.
If the mounted image is of a game(Brood War) why does it still insist I insert the disk when the game is run? On my pc, once the image was mounted to a virtual drive, the game was content. Any help would be nice.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Is your virtual drive also a virtual device. Mac games tend to query the device versus the volume.

OP
C
Reaction score
I think you're right, but I'm not entirely sure. On my pc I used daemon tools, a virtual drive app, to create 3 extra drives. If I need to create a virtual "device" on my mac, how would I go about that?

Just some context information: Once I mount it, I can view all the files that I can normally view off the disk, I can even run them. So the files are the same, but the game doesn't seem to reference the mounted image.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Correct.

Also a lot of game designers also purposefully put bad sectors on their discs so when you make copies they don't duplicate correctly.

OP
C
Reaction score
I know that this particular game does not have that specific addition, and that the image will run. But how do I get a "virtual device" for mac? What do I need to run the image in place of the disk?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" 2.8ghz IMAC, MB Pro
What you are asking to do sounds suspiciously like something I might get a warning for helping you with. Good luck though.

OP
C
Reaction score
I obviously own the game, and am simply trying to find a way to avoid lugging it around. Also using images is a nice way to decrease load times and keep my actual drive open for something else.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.53 GHz MBP, 4 GB RAM, 320 GB HDD
I obviously own the game, and am simply trying to find a way to avoid lugging it around. Also using images is a nice way to decrease load times and keep my actual drive open for something else.

Good point, but people around here tend to be uptight about this kind of stuff.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.