Opening images from iPhoto and editing in P.Elements

Reaction score
Read several threads here about this issue but could not get the answer i was looking for.

I transfered all my images to Mac from my PC with the same folder structure. Then I imported all the images to iPhoto without letting iPhoto make copies of images. So the location of each file i see under iPhoto is exactly where I located them in my Mac's hard drive. By the way, i want to use iPhoto because of it's presentation/iWeb capabilities and occasionally for simple edits for casual photos.

Here's my problem;

- I open and edit a RAW (nikon, canon or panasonic) file (either from iPhoto or from Finder) in Photoshop Elements 4.
- Then I Save As under a different format (say PSD, JPG, TIFF or whatever) as i can't Save with camera raw format.
- I save the new image under the same folder as the original RAW file.
- I go to iPhoto but can only see the original file but not the newly created edited file???

What i understand from this is that iPhoto does not check the contents of the folders that it imported from and so does not add to its library if a new image has been created under the folder it's supposed to recognize? If this is correct, then i have to separately import any new image created after the initial import, which is a big hassle and stupidity...

Is there any way to get around this? I'm very new to Mac environment and only hoping that i'm doing something wrong...

Any comments welcome.

Thanks

Reaction score
You are thinking in the right direction.
You have to import the photos seperately.

Regards

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
4 months down the line from 'switching' one of the only things I miss from the PC arena is Picasa.

This thread discusses similar things some may be of help to you:
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=307272

Hope it's OK to post links to a different mac forum !

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 Macbook Pro, 8g RAM, iPhone 6, iPad Mini, Apple TV
If you will set Photoshop to be your external editor from within the iPhoto app (Preferences), Photoshop will open when you click (in iPhoto) to edit, and then save the photo back to where it came from. So, there is no need to take it out of iPhoto, edit it and then save it back to iPhoto -- it will do it for you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookPro 2.4 GHz Intel Core i7, Memory 8 GB 1333 MHz DDR3, Graphics AMD Radeon HD 6770M 1024 MB
Thanks

If you will set Photoshop to be your external editor from within the iPhoto app (Preferences), Photoshop will open when you click (in iPhoto) to edit, and then save the photo back to where it came from. So, there is no need to take it out of iPhoto, edit it and then save it back to iPhoto -- it will do it for you.

Thank you, this was very helpful!:Cool:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.