May Be Buying Soon.

Reaction score
I may be buying an iPod Touch within the next few days, I may start off on the 8gb model.

I heard Apple is going to offer something thats like jailbreaking?

Any tips? Anything I should look at?

Thanks.

Neo

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
white MB 2.16GHz 3GB 320GB 10.6.1
rumors are swirling about the Touch. I'd hold off at least a few weeks! You might save some money (or get more GB for your money).

OP
T
Reaction score
Hmm, is anything confirmed?

Or could I return it if it comes out within the time period?

Neo

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Nothing is confirmed.
You could maybe return it, but my Apple store will only accept unopened hardware returns...so I'm waiting.

OP
T
Reaction score
I've been researching Jailbreaking it.

What are your views on it.

What can Jailbreaking do, that I cant on a non modified touch.

And is it really that crucial that the jailbreaking method isn't messed up.

Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac 2.66GHz-4gig 640GB, 15" MBP 2.2GHz i7 Quad, 750 GB, 8gig,16GB iPad2,16GB iPhone 4, AppleTV
rumors are swirling about the Touch. I'd hold off at least a few weeks! You might save some money (or get more GB for your money).

What rumors? They just released the 32 gig version last week. Is there supposed to be a bigger version than that?

To the OP I bought a 16 gig 2 weeks ago and exchanged it today for the 32gig and didn't pay a restocking fee just the price difference. So if they come out with something within the 14 day return period they should let you exchange it.

OP
T
Reaction score
I just realized that the iPod Touch will only get internet at hotspots and stuff, where as my phone gets internet pretty much anywhere.

I dont know if I'll want to spend an extra $100 for a feature I probably wont use.

Unless I can get the iPhone to work on T-Mobile, or make it do VoIP.

Can the Touch be modified to get internet like mobile phones can?

Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Sure, when cell companies switch their entire networks over to Wi-Fi ;P

You can get the iPhone to work on T-Mobile by unlocking it, but I can't go into details about that as it is a violation of the Apple EULA, and as such, discussion of it is prohibited by rule #4 of Mac-Forums.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macky the 21.5'' iMac 2.7ghz i5 8GB, Mr. Pink 64GB iPhone 6, iPad Jr. 16GB Air 2, 13'' MBAir 1.6Ghz
I'm trying to sell my ipod touch to get an iphone :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP C2D, 1 GB ram, 120GB HD
i just got an IPT today and i love the thing.i only wish i still had my iphone...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac 2.8 GHZ/2GB/320GB/Leopard
What rumors? They just released the 32 gig version last week. Is there supposed to be a bigger version than that?

To the OP I bought a 16 gig 2 weeks ago and exchanged it today for the 32gig and didn't pay a restocking fee just the price difference. So if they come out with something within the 14 day return period they should let you exchange it.

I heard they may be lowering the price on them but that could be just a hopeful rumor...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I just realized that the iPod Touch will only get internet at hotspots and stuff, where as my phone gets internet pretty much anywhere.

I dont know if I'll want to spend an extra $100 for a feature I probably wont use.

Unless I can get the iPhone to work on T-Mobile, or make it do VoIP.

Can the Touch be modified to get internet like mobile phones can?

Thanks.

Is that because you maybe have internet through your cell provider or is your iphone only on wifi? Just curious as I am buying an iTouch this month.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Macbook Pro 2.66 GHz, 4GB 1067 MHz running Snow Leopard
I've been researching Jailbreaking it.

What are your views on it.

What can Jailbreaking do, that I cant on a non modified touch.

And is it really that crucial that the jailbreaking method isn't messed up.

Thanks.

I own an 8GB Jailbroken iPod touch, running 1.1.1 at the moment, but in the process of jailbreaking 1.1.3, as background information.

Jailbreaking the touch really opens up it's capabilities. Although the process takes some major patience and can be stressful, you can always restore it using itunes, but you can get very nervous. Doing it doesn't require you to be some kind of hacker, many forums and blogs have easy step by step instructions. Now that they have released the iPhone apps on all the new touches, Jailbreaking doesn't have as profound and effect on the touch because those basic apps make the touch so much more useful. Being able to check email, stocks, and weather when you're not at your computer is priceless. The SDK is probably going to cover all of the jailbroken apps anyway, so if you want to wait and be safe then you probably wont loose out.

Anyways, my view on jailbreaking:

Pros​
VNC
A 3rd party app called VNSea on the touch and iPhone allows you to remotely connect to your VNC Server capable computer (very easy to set up, took me 20 seconds). What this allows you to do is with your IP address (computer's) and the password you make up when you set up the home computer, you can access your computer from your touch, and control all the functions as if you were sitting at your desk. You can run all your apps and do whatever you want. Yes, it's a bit tedious with the touch screen but I use it a lot to manage my computer away from home. It's a great feature that really enhances the functionality of the touch.

IM (Apollo)
Pretty simple, just allows you to use your IM screen name when you're connected to a wifi network. Great for people who do it on their phones already, or when they're on their computers, but aren't home a lot.

Customize/Summerboard
The really missing feature from the ITouch and iPhone. This little app lets you customize the touch with backgrounds and arrange the icons (prior to 1.1.3 update) along with more advanced setting changes.

Books
Another useful little feature that store ebooks on the touch. Another thing to supplement the movies and music you have for long train rides and plain trips.

Games Games games!
Solitare, Chess, Tetris, what more could you ask for!

Cons​

Process
Sometimes the process of jailbreaking the iPod takes some time and you need a lot of patience, as most likely you'll mess it up the first few times. It can be nerve racking and stressful.

Support
If you ever need support from apple you'll have to wipe the Touch by restoring it do factory settings before having them service it or I believe they will deny you service. However, if you mess up your ipod (break, etc) to the point where you can't restore it, apple might still deny service if they search the drive and find evidence of a jailbreak (not 100% on this).

Overall, if you feel the Touch is underperforming what it could do, I would recommend jailbreaking it. Even if the SDK comes out and is amazing, you can just restore and start from scratch. You really have nothing to loose. When the SDK comes out, if people need to jailbreak the iPod still, someone will figure out a way to do it where you can be jailbroken and still have support for SDK apps.

Everything's up to you.

Neo

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I heard they may be lowering the price on them but that could be just a hopeful rumor...

yes, that is what I heard... maybe a sliding price scale, where you can get 16 GB for closer to today's 8 GB price

also (doesn't make a lot of sense to me), I've heard of discontinuing the 8 GB altogether now that the 32 GB is released. It will probably be several months before this would be happening

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I heard that apple may be announcing third party app usage on the Itouch on Marh 6th. Hopefully because for the 499.00 it should have some kind of games on it...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.