iMac dead after 9 days

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 21.5" with Retina 4K Display, 3.1GHz i5, 16GB RAM, 256GB Flash Storage Late 2015
Well my brand spanking new iMac was dead as a door nail this morning when I sat down at my desk. Not only do I get to immediately experience Apple computers for the first time I get to experience Apple service for the first time.

I bought it a a local computer store. My city is not big enough for an Apple store. So my question is will I have a good experience going forward or might this be the beginning of a sad experience?

If it died in the first 9 days I am fearful I might have a lemon.

Thanks for any thoughts or experiences. I am posting this message with my 5 year old Dell that has given me nothing but continuous and uninterrupted service.

I miss my iMac already!

M

MacHeadCase

I personally wall Apple Care before going to the repair shop. Get them to open up a ticket (or whatever they call it for service) and see what the best way to proceed would be.

For the heck of it, they'll make you go through a couple of troubleshooting procedures but it would be best if Apple Care was aware of your situation, IMO. This is definitely not normal.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
C2D 27" W/ MAGIC MOUSE,iPhone 3GS
Since its brand new they should provide you the proper trouble shooting techniques in getting it fixed.It might just be something simple.Macs tend to kind of weird you out at first when you are sitting there and you really do not know what its doing until you notice the little white dot blinking meaning its in sleep mode or the white dot just totally lit up.Maybe the cord was not fully plugged in.I have noticed that people tend not to securely put the cord all the way in or what not and then there you have it...it seems as though its not working.Im not a professional but i would atleast give them a call first before trying to lug it to the store.

Reaction score
You are covered, it is an inconvenience to be sure; but, much better for it to die nine days into it than one year and nine days!

Reaction score
If it died in the first 9 days I am fearful I might have a lemon.

Thanks for any thoughts or experiences. I am posting this message with my 5 year old Dell that has given me nothing but continuous and uninterrupted service.

I miss my iMac already!

Aw, so sorry to hear you're having a bad start of it. Call Apple as others have said. Since it died in the first 9 days, you should be able to get a replacement I believe, since you're under the 14 days allowed to have it declared a DOA. (Correct me if I'm wrong, someone).

If not, I wouldn't worry too much, Apple will have you back up and running asap. Also, if they have to repair your machine 3 times, its my understanding that you can get it exchanged on the 4th repair for new computer, provided you still have Apple Care on it. (Again, someone correct me if I'm wrong please :))

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.53 Intel Core Duo Mac Mini; 4g RAM; 350g HD, OS 10.6.3
yeah, hope this doesn't turn you off to apple at all. i've always felt their customer service was top notch. first time i went to a genius bar and they offered me a bottled water and an issue of Dwell while i waited, i was hooked. apple will take good care of you. good luck.

OP
kentsb
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 21.5" with Retina 4K Display, 3.1GHz i5, 16GB RAM, 256GB Flash Storage Late 2015
iMac not dead after 9 days

Good news! I don't know why my iMac would not turn on yesterday but it works now. Thanks for everyones comments and suggestions.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Macbook Pro 2.66 GHz, 4GB 1067 MHz running Snow Leopard
Good news! I don't know why my iMac would not turn on yesterday but it works now. Thanks for everyones comments and suggestions.

Sometimes they just need a rest ;)

You probably wore it out exploring in your "new toy" joy!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.