Lost mail in Mail

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Book Pro. 2.3Ghz Intel Core i7 running OSX 10.14.6, 16GB Ram
Hi, all. I've been having a nightmare with mail recently. I've managed to pretty much fix it all, but I've just lost some messages. I've got two macs, one an old G3 running OS X and one a G5 pre intel.
I've opened up mail only twice on the G3 and both times it downloads all the messages, then loses them, and back on my G5, i've lost the same messages. It appears that they disappear up in smoke. Where are they? They were stored on my G5, not on the server, so how can they sync up and I lose them. although the G5 syncs automatically with .Mac. The G3 is manual, to avoid any conflicts. Can anyone help? I can't believe they've just been deleted like that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 17" 1Ghz G4  iPhone 3G  10.5.5
First, have you tried the Rebuild command? (under Mailbox menu)

To see if the messages are still there, go to homefolder~Library/Mail/your Account/(inbox, sent, etc..)/messages

OP
Simbad54
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for the response.
Ok, i got my sent messages back, but there are still some in the Library/Mail/your Account/(inbox, sent, etc..)/messages folder that i aren't visible in Mail. How can I get them back? Clicking on them opens them, but they stay in the folder.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 17" 1Ghz G4  iPhone 3G  10.5.5
Either:
1. Rebuild each folder in the Mail app. (i.e. select Inbox, then Rebuild)
2.You can use the Import command and select the messages.
3. Create a new folder in Mail (or use Drafts, etc..) and manually move the messages to the new folder, then use the Rebuild command.

OP
Simbad54
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I lost just ONE email!

Hi all, yes another problem with Mac Mail, lost email thread! I just upgraded to Leopard this week and it's been a bit temperamental. The other day I needed to write a very important email to my girlfriend who is working abroad. When I came to send it, I thought, uh oh, better save it as a draft just in case. So did that, and clicked send. I didn't sit there and watch the activity bar down the bottom. And now, there is no record of the mail anywhere. It is gone from both drafts and sent mail. I've rebuilt my mailboxes, and checked everywhere. It has completely vanished! Why does this always happen to the really important mails! Basically whether she received it or not determines whether we split up or not! ha ha. Any help appreciated...
Simeon

Reaction score
Have you tried using Spotlight to see if you can find the email on your computer? Maybe search Spotlight using her name, subject, etc...and see what you find there.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.