1/2 a pb still working but need help w/diplay options

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 450 MHZ 80GB HD 896 MB RAM; PowerBook G4 17" 1.5 GHz 512MB RAM
hey for those of you that read into the archive i am the guy that dropped his pb a few months back. I got it running again, but of coarse i still have no display. I bought an s-video cable and hooked it up to my tv but the pb is only using the tv as a spare or second display and i cant log in. is there anyway around this or do i have to get some other kind of cable/adapter to use it with an lcd display?

Reaction score
you will eventually either have to buy a Macbook and ditch your PB, or you could spend money on getting your LCD replaced. there are places that do this, but you have to ship your PB to them, they fix it, then they ship it back to you. its not cheap ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
Pressing F7 (or fn+F7, depending on your setup) should toggle the display to mirror mode.

Still, though, a TV is not a very effective display. You might be able to get some files off of it, but it wouldn't really be usable.

OP
Tuleele
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
nah i decided to just buy a dvi cable and use it with my lcd. i figured why not my pb has a better cpu than my power mac...lol

OP
Tuleele
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i hooked my pb up to my lcd with a dvi cable and i still only get the spare screen thing like when i hooked it up to my tv. i have to hot wire the pb to get it on so the keyboard and trackpad dont work. i tried the f7 and nothing. am i supposed press it at startup?
Please help!!!!

Reaction score
I get most of my spares from eBay or Craigslist. Every now and then you'll see someone with a partially broken PB sell one on CL for cheap...so you can take 2 of them with different problems to make one good one.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.