? for VM Fusion Users

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15", 2.4 Ghz, 4 gb, 500g, Lion; iPhone 4, 16gb; iPad 2 32gb, WiFi; iPhone 4s, 32gb
I tried searching but didn't find a specific answer to this question. Hopefully, someone currently using VM Fusion will know:

I'm currently using Boot Camp/Vista Home Premium on a MBP with 2g ram. Everything works great but I would like the option to switch to windows without having to reboot each time. If I use VM Fusion with the Boot Camp partition as my VM, will all of my settings....printer setup, scanning setup, favorites, etc....all transfer over, just like when I reboot or will some things not work? Also, would it be best to upgrade the ram to 4g if I run it this way?

Thanks in advance and I apologize if this has already been answered and I missed it.

Neo

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
white MB 2.16GHz 3GB 320GB 10.6.1
I ran BootCamp on my work MB for a year before I installed Fusion on it. I run my BootCamp partition virtually, and nothing has changed. It works great. If you install VMWare Tools, you can freely go back and forth, booting to your partition or running it virtually (though I've booted natively just twice in the last four months).

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15", 2.4 Ghz, 4 gb, 500g, Lion; iPhone 4, 16gb; iPad 2 32gb, WiFi; iPhone 4s, 32gb
Thanks Neo....any suggestions before I "bite the bullet" and do it? Also, did you notice a significant difference in speed when you switched from running native to Fusion?

Neo

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
white MB 2.16GHz 3GB 320GB 10.6.1
read through "Creating a virtual machine from a bootcamp partition" in the Fusion Help before you start. It's really easy, but reading the help file will make you feel comfortable doing it.

difference in speed? Not usually. I am a chronic multi-tasker though, and I tend to have 8 apps open in OS X already when I run Windows in Fusion. I have had two times where Fusion crawled on me. It never froze (which still amazes me), and when I closed a few apps, I was rolling again. Please NOTE, I'm running this on a MacBook, 2.0 GHz, 1 GB RAM. You should be flying colors with your MBP.

Remember you can set the amount of RAM assigned to your virtual machine in Fusions Virtual Machine settings.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.