FTP File Sharing

Reaction score
In System Preference, I've selected the Sharing settings, enabled File Sharing using FTP. However, when I go to ftp://[my internal IP address] using Firefox, I get an alert that says '530 User anonymous unknown'. When using FileZilla, I'm still unable to connect. It doesn't even seem to do anything.

Does anyone have any suggestions to fix this problem?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
In your ftp client, you need to enter the name of the user whose folder you want access to, and their password.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
Does this even work? To do this, don't you need an FTP server running on your Mac? I have used PureFTPd for this since I got my Mac. I have never even tried it without - do Macs come with a built in FTP server? After two years I am just finding this out if it true.

OP
J
Reaction score
In your ftp client, you need to enter the name of the user whose folder you want access to, and their password.

Thanks! That did the trick. Is there a way to redirect all anonymous requests to my Public folder?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Thanks! That did the trick. Is there a way to redirect all anonymous requests to my Public folder?

Doing it the way you are doing it, I doubt it. You'd really need to install a more robust FTP server.

I *think* that setting up the Guest account for OS X will serve as an anonymous login also. Try setting that up and see where it gets you.

OP
J
Reaction score
Doing it the way you are doing it, I doubt it. You'd really need to install a more robust FTP server.

I *think* that setting up the Guest account for OS X will serve as an anonymous login also. Try setting that up and see where it gets you.

That would be lovely, but unfortunately that didn't work. I'll start searching for a real FTP server. Thanks for your help!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.