Possible Switcher

T

TnTPoP

OK, first off "HELLO!" :D

Last year, I volunteered to make Certificates for the company I work for. One week later I was given 1500 in Adobe software, (windows) and a new title of graphic artists....

OK...I'm not anywhere near what you would consider a graphic artist, but the boss likes what I do and I want to keep my job, so a year later and 500 tutorials and books later I really like what I am learning.

I will have to be leaving my home and moving to the company office next year. I will be getting a new computer from them, and would like to get a Mac since they have me doing More than Graphics now (Filming and Creating DVD's and such)

My question is one of complete ignorance so for give me in advance:

Can I get a Mac that can use my Windows based Adobe CS?

Since EVERYONE in the company is using WIndows based PC's should I just skip it and try and have a PC built instead?

For those that use a MAC at work in are surrounded by PC's ...do they integrate somehow or very well?

I really need to start selling him on the idea that if they really want me to do this...here is the mac I need..... (I don't even know the mac I need..lol have anyone suggestions for a 3500 budget that does multi media, photoshop and Illustrator very well?)

Ok thanks for letting me through this all out!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
My question is one of complete ignorance so for give me in advance:
No need. That's what this board is for.
Can I get a Mac that can use my Windows based Adobe CS?
Unfortunately, no. Some companies sell both the Mac and PC versions in the same box, but the Creative Suite is sold seperately, and the PC version won't run on the Mac.

You can run PC software on a Mac using a product called VirtualPC, but it's slow. Since Photoshop (etc.) are pretty demanding programs, you probably wouldn't be very happy doing this. (IMHO, this is one of the biggest problems for Switchers. The Creative Suite, for one, is not cheap. Having to buy it all over again is harsh. You might try calling Adobe and begging them for a discount if you turn in your PC CDs, though. Or maybe they'd let you buy the cheaper "Upgrade" version. Nothing to lose.)

Since EVERYONE in the company is using WIndows based PC's should I just skip it and try and have a PC built instead?
Not necessarily. It depends mostly on two things: 1)Will you be able to do what you need on the Mac and 2) Are you willing to be different from everyone else in the office

As for #1, it really depends on what the company does and what software it uses. Word/Excel/PowerPoint (for example) are pretty much the same on the Mac. Lots of other software is too, but not everything. Without knowing what software you'll be needing, I can't say more.

#2 is a personal decision. You'll get some funny looks for sure, but you'll also get some "Wow! You can do that?"s.

For those that use a MAC at work in are surrounded by PC's ...do they integrate somehow or very well?
These days, they work together pretty well. Macs can use PC disks and PC network shares, and Macs can burn PC CDs and create PC-accessible network shares.

I really need to start selling him on the idea that if they really want me to do this...here is the mac I need..... (I don't even know the mac I need..lol have anyone suggestions for a 3500 budget that does multi media, photoshop and Illustrator very well?)

Hmmm. For about US$3500, you could get a dual-processor 1.8GHz G5, a 20" LCD Cinema display, and a gigabyte of extra RAM from Crucial. Not a bad setup for what you're talking about.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.