• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Starbucks Ditches T-Mobile for AT&T

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
http://crave.cnet.com/8301-1_105-9868964-1.html

All I can say is, it's about time. Not about the change in providers, but for the change in service to customers. Now customers will have the first 2 hours of internet service free. It's not the best deal in town for me, as almost all the local mom and pop-type coffee shops (and everyone else in the world) have unlimited free internet access, but it's a step in the right direction. Personally, I won't be spending more than 2 hours a day in a coffee shop, so the limit doesn't matter much. I guess it'll make way for iPhone related things like ordering from your phone and music browsing.

Now if they could only get their coffee to taste better . . . ;P

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
Great news for iPhone owners everywhere!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
I used to chill at Panara when I had my MacBook because I didn't have internet at my apartment. I don't think they have a time limit. I got away without buying anything too. I would just walk in and hide in the corner. :)

Two hours is plenty though.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
Meanwhile, every other coffee shop/restaurant out there offers free, unlimited AirPort connectivity.

Starbucks, AT&T, and T-Mobile can all go stick their heads in a pig.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 Pro - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - macOS Monterey
Never liked Starbucks anyway, but now I have even less reason to like them.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I got an email from AT&T telling me I can go into any Starbucks and use their WiFi for free as an AT&T DSL customer. Too bad I really don't visit Starbucks all that often and pay their high prices!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
I *do* go to Starbucks regularly - I count their lattes among my favorite indulgences. So, add free WiFi at Starbucks to the free WiFi and Dunkin' Donut (donuts are another favorite indulgence, and since I can't find a Tim Hortons here in Dallas, Dunkin' is next up!) and I am quite happy. This will work out well! :D

OP
fleurya
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Never liked Starbucks anyway, but now I have even less reason to like them.

Did you read anything other than the title? I can understand not liking AT&T, but getting free internet is better for everyone no matter what the service provider it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 Pro - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - macOS Monterey
Did you read anything other than the title? I can understand not liking AT&T, but getting free internet is better for everyone no matter what the service provider it.

:Oops: Welll, I read the part about it still costing money...

Upon further reading, that is actually a pretty cool deal. I just have some gripes with AT&T that made me cringe upon reading about the switch.

(Like wanting $400 for me to sign up for their phone service and then pay another $100 a month for service. Got the same service plan plus some perks with T-Mobile for $70 a month, without the $400 deposit. No complaints about T-Mobile coverage either.)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13" | MacBook Pro 13" | Mac Mini 2GHz C2D
i love starbucks. everyone hates because it is mass market and some say expensive. if you drink regular coffee, it is not bad. it tastes way better than what you get anywhere else.

as for the wifi thing, being stationed on a ship that is gone all of the time, it is nice to know that where ever we go, where there is a starbucks, there will be internet. (probably not in peru or PR)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Meanwhile, every other coffee shop/restaurant out there offers free, unlimited AirPort connectivity.

Starbucks, AT&T, and T-Mobile can all go stick their heads in a pig.

I agree with you tech. Almost everywhere else has free wifi and better atmosphere than Starbucks. While I may stop in to grab coffee, Stabucks has never been a place I want to spend any time.

I'll go support one of my local coffee shops with the free wifi and often better coffee.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
I got an email from AT&T telling me I can go into any Starbucks and use their WiFi for free as an AT&T DSL customer. Too bad I really don't visit Starbucks all that often and pay their high prices!

On the rare occasions that I do into a Starbucks (last Saturday night was one of them), I don't find their prices particularly high compared to the local shops that I prefer.

Personally I prefer to roast, grind and brew my own, but it's not alway practical to do so.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
I am sure glad I don't have that coffee Jones.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Duo White
In NYC Starbucks simply floods the market as there is one on every corner. I can't see why that can't provide free internet to its customers. Most of the shops are small, as most people get coffee to go.
Anyways, as a AT&T customer, do I get the internet for free?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
In NYC Starbucks simply floods the market as there is one on every corner. I can't see why that can't provide free internet to its customers. Most of the shops are small, as most people get coffee to go.

I think it was Lewis Black that had a routine with Starbucks. He said something along the lines of it being a paradise for suffers of alzhiemers. They would spend all day in a Starbucks, leave, and miraculously find one across the street. "Hey everyone! It's a Starbucks, let's go!"

OP
fleurya
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Only broadband customers, not mobile phone customers.

I think it was Lewis Black that had a routine with Starbucks. He said something along the lines of it being a paradise for suffers of alzhiemers. They would spend all day in a Starbucks, leave, and miraculously find one across the street. "Hey everyone! It's a Starbucks, let's go!"

LOL! Yeah, I heard that. He has a real chip in his should about Starbucks. In an earlier act, he said he found the end of the world when he saw a Starbucks right across the street from another Starbucks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
So the free WiFi isn't really so free or open as it first sounds...

Of course, Starbucks’ hopes free Wi-Fi will convince coffee drinkers to not only opt for Starbucks but also to stick around longer and buy more lattes. To log onto the company’s new Internet service, customers will need to have an active Starbucks card.

That's kind of crappy. So I have to buy a stupid Starbucks gift card to be able to use the Internet?

http://techland.blogs.fortune.cnn.com/2008/02/12/is-the-end-of-paying-for-wi-fi-near/

OP
fleurya
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
^^ yikes! I didn't see that.

Just when you thought they were doing something right. :Grimmace:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.