ibook heat problems! help!!

J

jamessmells

Hi! My ibook regularly gets very hot! About 70 degrees celcius! (hot enough to burn, especially underneath the keyboard, and abouve the F keys!). The fan only kicks in around 70 degrees, which in my opinion is far too late! Is there a way to manually turn on the cooling fan? or lower the temperature for it to automatically kick in??

I would appreciate any help!

Cheers, James..

Using an iBook G4, 1.2ghz.

OP
T

TylerMoney

Um...I know no way to turn the fan on manually, but there probably is a way through terminal. Though if it makes you feel any better...ibooks and powerbooks both get pretty stinking hot...I know my powerbook can get really toasty sometimes...I don't know what temperature..but hot hot....and it's normal....but I'm sure someone else can help you out.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Colorware PowerBook 1.67 GHz G4, 2 GB DDR2, 100GB 7200 RPM
I have the same problem myself, but I honestly don't even want to have to resort to the fan. There's plenty of "incline cooling" options which I'm planning to try. Various companies make a couple good pads to cool the laptop from what I hear, but I'm first going to try these things called Dr. Bodelin's Laptop Bumpers, which can be purchased at powermax.com, among other places. It gives incline and therefore air flow to the iBook for cheap, so hopefully that'll serve to cool it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13" | MacBook Pro 13" | Mac Mini 2GHz C2D
what are yall doing to make it get so hot. mine will run at 130 deg f sometimes when i am playing that **** nanosaur game or watching a movie and doing other things. it usually stays around 100 deg f. i think there is a utility that you can adjust your fan with but i am not sure what it is.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacbookAir iPhone6
ibook

hey

yes mine can get very hot just like the others

but if its as hot as you say - like burning hot

I don't think thats right and I would take it in and get it checked out

regards :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro, Mac Mini, TV, iPhone, Nano
Check your activity monitor

I had the same issue with my iBook. When i opened my activity monitor it was showing Virex was using 76% of my system resources. My ibook at one point got to 159 degrees F. now that i have removed the problem mine never gets over 120 degrees or so when doing video editing and stuff like that. I would check there see what is using the CPU so much that its heating up so hot.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.