• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Apple patents handheld gaming device.

Reaction score
Well, as it says, it's unlikely. I was just looking at the games for Macs, and it looks a little thin.

& hey, I'm from Lincolnshire too :D

Reaction score
Boy I really wonder about this.

I'm very happy with my Nintendo Wii, and I don't think Apple will try attack that.

Since they're talking handheld, I assume they want to get more games and software rolling on iPhone/iPod Touch, since it was recently lauded as a mainstream mobile device - rather than an iPod or phone.

I wouldn't read too much into this, Apple does not have the core competencies to make games that compete in an arena with EA or Nintendo. If they want to do something like that, they'd either have to have been doing some heavy R&D in that area or they should buy up some company as they did with the iPhone touch screens.

OP
vaughan80
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook - 2.4 ghz intel core duo / 4 gig of ram.
Personally, I'd love to see it, but it could go either way - with the popularity of the ipod and iphone (and increasingly, mac's) it could be the next DS, or the next gizmondo... (cough!)

Ultimately, it's down to wether or not the game developers would support it.
No matter what I bet it will look cool!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
I liked the first few comments about it. "Don't call it iPippin" and "Pippin ain't easy." I don't see it going anywhere as the article suggests.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, 10.5.4, 2GB RAM, 2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
I don't think Apple is going to get into the video game industry. They know that there is a lot of competition out there, and it would cost a nice penny to throw their hat in the ring. While it would be awesome to see an iHandheld, Apple's best option is to stick with what they're good at: awesome computers and mp3 players.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Lenovo Z560 Hackintosh -:- '06 iMac -:- iPod Touch 2ndGen
I think they're just covering themselves for iPod/iPhone games. Trying to enter the handheld market against Nintendo and Sony would be dumb.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
I think it's a cash thing. If someone like Nintendo wants to use such technology they'll have to pay a royalty or something to Apple for it cause they invented it first. Smart business if you ask me. Also they might eventually one day go into a partnership with one of these people. Not for making games. But for the hardware. I reckon if Nintendo wanted to, they could buddy up with Apple and make a really good machine for their next console.

I think a win win scenario.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
after the nintendo/sony debacle that spawned the original playstation, i don't think nintendo would be planning on partnering up with any hardware giant again in the near future...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac G5-iSight tiger, iMac G5 tiger, G5 tiger, 23in hd display,G3 tiger,CRT Display, Macbook Leopard
I think apple will hey seem to be slowly entering all of the major markets today. It would be a smart move to if you ask me

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Base Model MacBook (White from early 2008)
I heard of something similar, recently

I heard that Apple and Sony created a 60 gigabite 9that's right! 60!) game that involves living. For instance, you eat supper, clean your house, ect. Also, if you look in a miror, you see yourself. Sony needs Apple's help on this because of the size of the game.

This is not yet confirmed.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
I think apple will hey seem to be slowly entering all of the major markets today. It would be a smart move to if you ask me

One one hand I agree. If one venture fails they have all the rest to keep them going strong. But on the other hand is apple spreading themselves too thin. Too many different projects on the go at once and having to put in less effort into each one cause of the large number going on at once.

That's just something I thought about.

Reaction score
I heard of something similar, recently

I heard that Apple and Sony created a 60 gigabite 9that's right! 60!) game that involves living. For instance, you eat supper, clean your house, ect. Also, if you look in a miror, you see yourself. Sony needs Apple's help on this because of the size of the game.

This is not yet confirmed.

That game is called The Sims. And that really just sounds silly more than anything. A 60 GB game is ALOT.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Base Model MacBook (White from early 2008)
Actually, it is not the Sims. First of all, I don't think the Sims is 60 gigs. This is just something I heard from a fellow mac geek, so don't get mad at me about it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Lenovo Z560 Hackintosh -:- '06 iMac -:- iPod Touch 2ndGen
Actually, it is not the Sims. First of all, I don't think the Sims is 60 gigs. This is just something I heard from a fellow mac geek, so don't get mad at me about it.

Sounds like BS. Why on earth would Sony go to Apple for anything when they're the designer of the PS3? Apple doesn't exactly make gaming hardware.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.