A speedtouch 510 adsl modem/router, a G4, and a whole bunch of trouble!!

P

profound_d

Hi i hope someone can help as I am truly stuck. I may have posted this in the wrong forum too so if i have could someone please redirect me....

I have just connected up a speedtouch 510 v3.6 adsl modem/router to my g4 mac running os 9.2.

I have been guided through configuring the modem by the tech support guy and it is happily connecting to my isp. (pipex)

problem is i cannot load any web pages or retreive any mail.

my tcp settings are as follows:
connect via ethernet,
dchp manual
ip address 10.0.0.1
subnet mask 255.0.0.0
router address 10.0.0.138
dns numbers 158.43.240.4 and 158.43.240.3

appletalk is off and file sharing is off.

what is wrong here? i know the mac is seeing the modem because the modem software is run inside my web browser (I.E 5) so the ethernet connection is good.

Why can't i load any web pages or get any mail?

I have been told to try changing the following:
ip address to 10.0.0.2
subnet mask to 255.255.255.0
router address to 10.0.0.1

this had exactly the same effect - nothing works!

I know the modem is mac compatible as the tech support guy said he had done numerous installs on macs and they all work fine.

I have also done a complete clean install of the system software and it still wont work.

Help.... please..... somebody........

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display
Hmm, well Im not such a classic expert any longer.. but I have used classic for as long as it was around. So i will give it a shot..
Is there a firewall? you have set up blocking your connection?
Can you access your router thru a webpage?
Do you have your computer plugged into the right prong? (for multi prongs, not good to have in daisy chain)
You could try DCHP as an automatic.. that may change something..
You may have your modem looking in the wrong place.. for the DNS..
I guess more information is what i would need :)
hope that helps.

OP
P

profound_d

Graphite said:
Hmm, well Im not such a classic expert any longer.. but I have used classic for as long as it was around. So i will give it a shot..
Is there a firewall? you have set up blocking your connection?
Can you access your router thru a webpage?
Do you have your computer plugged into the right prong? (for multi prongs, not good to have in daisy chain)
You could try DCHP as an automatic.. that may change something..
You may have your modem looking in the wrong place.. for the DNS..
I guess more information is what i would need :)
hope that helps.

thanks for that graphite. I don't know if it makes any difference but i'm not actually running in classic mode. I have an old g4 that only runs in os9.2!

i believe there is a firwall but wouldn't know where to start with trying to turn it off.

I can access the router through a web page - this is how i configured it so i know the ethernet connection is running fine.

The computer is plugged intot he first socket and is not in a daisy chain.
I initially tried dchp as automatic - same result and was then recommended to try automatic to no avail!

I have also tried various different dns numbers none of which work - but whcihc do work with my usb modem. There seems to be some problem getting the mac to realise it has to get it's web connection from the router.

very wierd and being a non-techy i'm a bot stuck!

thanks anyway

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.