Office 2004 Help

jmy

Reaction score
I just got a MacBook, and had the Genius Bar people transfer all of my old iBook data onto my new comp. I can open and use Office programs like Word just fine, HOWEVER, if I try to open the program by opening a document directly, ie double clicking on example.doc, instead of opening Word, a window w/ an agreement for Microsoft Office 2004 Test Drive opens up, asking me to agree to its terms. I haven't clicked agree, because I don't want my Word, that seems to work fine, turn into some 30 day trial version. What should I do? Thanks for your help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, Black, 13.3 inch, glossy screen, super cool
Microsoft Office Test Drive comes with new MacBooks. If you decide to use the test drive, you will be able to open, type and save documents, but will not be able to print. At least, that was my experience. Do you already have Microsoft Office? If so, you can always uninstall the Test Drive that comes pre-installed on the computer.

Neo

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
white MB 2.16GHz 3GB 320GB 10.6.1
uh-oh! Somebody installed Office without uninstalling the Test Drive! :Grimmace:
Go to the Applications folder in Finder and Trash the "Microsoft Office Test Drive" (or something like that). Office is packaged, so it shouldn't break the installation of your purchased Office. You might need to reinstall...but probably not.

You will almost surely need to reset default applications for .doc, .xls, .ppt and so on. Do you know how to do that? You could search the forum or post back here. Good luck.

OP
J

jmy

Reaction score
Thanks guys--I was able to trash the Test Drive, and made .doc, .xls, etc open default w/ my good old Office.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.