First time laptop user, got basic questions.

Reaction score
1. How can I set it up so I can print stuff from my notebook to my printer even though they aren't connected? Would a canon i550 printer be compatible with a mac?

2. Is a fuji finepix f20se digital camera compatible with a mac?

3. If I installed a new hard drive would that void my warranty? Is it hard to install a new hard drive? (my computer knowledge is low) Where can I find some hard drives for a mac? Whats a good site to buy cheap 4g RAM?

4. I have a wire/wireless linksys router, how can I have a wireless connection? Right now my PCs are hooked up with cables so I don't know how to have a wireless connection.

5. How can I get on the internet at hot spots? Do I need to do anything or will the computer automatically pick up the signal? Do I need a special card?

6. What are some suggestions you all have for keeping my laptop on great condition. I mean still running fast and no problems. Are there any software programs that you recommend to me for keeping my computer running as smoothly (error free) as possible?

7. Is it possible to use a PC mouse with a mac (a mouse with a left and right click)?

8. Is it possible to open excel files on a mac?

Any other tips that'll help me out would be great. If I think of more questions I'll ask them.

:Smirk: ;D :Angry-Tongue: :D :)

nZa

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8Ghz MBP
2. should be, and if not, the memory card is.

3. no, it will only void the warranty on your hard drive, not your entire laptop.

5. it will find them automatically.

7. yes

8. yes, you can get office for mac, install windows, or neooffice.org

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.53Ghz, 4GB ram, 500gb hd -- Apple TV 160gb -- MacMini 1.83ghz
For your wireless router; make sure you setup wireless security on your router (if not done already!)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook- 2.2GHz, 1gb RAM, 160GB, Double-Layer Superdrive.
7. Yes hardware is compatible with basically any operating system, it is the software that is incompatible. And you can right click on your mac several ways.

1. is hold control and than click
2. go into system preferences than keyboard and mouse and than trackpad and than check two finger tap to click, that allows you too right click if you tap with two fingers instead of just one.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Imac 2.16ghz, 2gb, 256MB
6. well laptops just break down faster than other desktops. consumer report recomended getting the extended warrenty for laptops only because they get dropped, things spilled on them, used in bad conditions etc. for hardware an apple laptop would be just like pc laptop so i would look in that direction. as far as keeping Mac OS X happy, I just use OnyX its a free download, or google search mac mantainence and you will be able to find other indept options.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16 Blackbook 1gb/160gb
1. How can I set it up so I can print stuff from my notebook to my printer even though they aren't connected? Would a canon i550 printer be compatible with a mac?
If you get a wireless print server or if your printer has one built in you'll be able to connect and print wirelessly.

2. Is a fuji finepix f20se digital camera compatible with a mac?
Check with Fuji on that one

3. If I installed a new hard drive would that void my warranty? Is it hard to install a new hard drive? (my computer knowledge is low) Where can I find some hard drives for a mac? Whats a good site to buy cheap 4g RAM?
No, just Apple won't warranty the new hard drive. Newegg.com is a good site for hard drives and cheap ram.

4. I have a wire/wireless linksys router, how can I have a wireless connection? Right now my PCs are hooked up with cables so I don't know how to have a wireless connection.
Go into your routers settings and make sure wireless is turned on then all you have to do is search for the Wireless networks name and your good to go. I highly advise enabling security, look in your routers manual about how to do that

5. How can I get on the internet at hot spots? Do I need to do anything or will the computer automatically pick up the signal? Do I need a special card?
The computer will automatically scan for access points all you do is click and connect. Mac laptops have wireless B,G and N built in so you don't need anything.

6. What are some suggestions you all have for keeping my laptop on great condition. I mean still running fast and no problems. Are there any software programs that you recommend to me for keeping my computer running as smoothly (error free) as possible?
For maintenance I would download Onyx and run it weekly, it just cleans up all those extra files you don't need and runs maintenance scripts. But you don't really need anything.

7. Is it possible to use a PC mouse with a mac (a mouse with a left and right click)?
Yep, just make sure its Mac compatible. I personally use a Logitech VX Revolution, great mouse.

8. Is it possible to open excel files on a mac?
Sure is, Office for Mac, NeoOffice, and Numbers(Apples iWork suite) will open it!

Any other tips that'll help me out would be great. If I think of more questions I'll ask them.

:Smirk: ;D :Angry-Tongue: :D :)

All of my comments are in red.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.