The iPhone is Its Own Best Advertisement

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
Last night, my wife and I headed out to a restaurant we had never been to. I looked up the address on the web, put it into Maps on the iPhone and had it plot our route for us. I was driving so I handed the iPhone to her and asked her to follow our route on Maps and provide me with driving instructions. She had never experienced an iPhone before. You can almost guess the rest... :D

We arrived at the restaurant safe and sound and she spent the first ten minutes we were there playing with all the other stuff on the iPhone. She was/is hooked! Suddenly, she can't wait to get herself an iPhone! Cha-ching! Apple racks up another sale by simple virtue of a non iPhone user having a chance to play with one for a bit. The iPhone is its own best advertisement, no doubt.

Now, if I could JUST get her to play with a Mac for a while! :D She is a died-in-the-wool PC user. It is not that she loves PC/Windows - she doesn't see any reason to change. Her machine is meeting her needs for now. I keep up an occassional trickle of information about Macs to her. I will step it up a bit once she decides that she needs a new computer, but they may be a while yet I would bet, knowing her.

I wonder if I can get a sales commission from Apple? :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
Here in Chicago (maybe everywhere?) Ford is giving an iPhone away with the sale of a car that has Sync built-in. I thought that was pretty funny that Ford is using Apple's iPhone to promote their cars with a Microsoft technology.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
Here in Chicago (maybe everywhere?) Ford is giving an iPhone away with the sale of a car that has Sync built-in. I thought that was pretty funny that Ford is using Apple's iPhone to promote their cars with a Microsoft technology.

LOL!! Is the iPhone compatible with the Sync technology (bluetooth functions)?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook G4, 17 inch intel imac
LOL!! Is the iPhone compatible with the Sync technology (bluetooth functions)?

Dude, you could be right. Unless sync work through a standard connection for phone only functions.

(Snarky side note, I don't want MS near my car blue screen of death while cruising the highway.)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I would assume it is. I bet all it does it connect the phone/ bluetooth device to the stereo system for hands free calling. I don't know what Sync is really. Is there a HD built into the dash? Maybe it copies all the music in the iPhone, converts .aac to .wma or something??
Or, Ford is just trying to lure people with the ever so hot iPhone.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
Sync is a program in the car that controls the phone, mp3 player, and navigation system with your voice, so you don't have to take your hands off the wheel when driving. So far its the most advanced system of its kind in cars, but we all know that if it acts anything like the voice system in vista, it wont' be working very well.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
The system has been getting good reviews, including the voice recognition. Keep in mind, this isn't Windows in your car, it's completely different. I think the $400 price tag isn't bad either considering you can easily spend $200 just to buy and install an auxiliary cable for your handset that will allow you to control it with your radio controls.

Reaction score
My parents just bought an '08 explorer that has SYNC in it and I must say it is cool. Sync is groundbreaking.

OP
mac57
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I guess my new car must have Sync then (or something very like it), even though I didn't read that it was called that. The passenger area has a built in hands free Bluetooth "headset" function that will link to my iPhone, allowing me to place and receive calls through the car's stereo. It also has its own voice activated directory (but it can't access the iPhones Contacts), allowing me to place calls through my iPhone completely via voice commands.

All of this sounds like the above description of Sync, but in my car, I can't control the stereo or MP3 player with it - just the phone function.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ewww Mac, you bought a Ford? CWA and I are both dissapointed.

OP
mac57
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ewww Mac, you bought a Ford? CWA and I are both dissapointed.

Its OK folks, let me set your mind at rest. It is a Toyota, the Toyota Avalon Limited. This is Toyota's big sedan. I have always loved big sedans and so when it was time to get a new car, it was top of my list.

BTW though, I have owned a few Fords over my lifetime, starting with my first car in 1982. Aside from that first car, I have found them to be well built, reliable vehicles. My favorite car of all time was my 1988 Ford Mustang 5.0L Fastback. What a great car!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I had a '91 Taurus handed down to me in college. It was my first car I guess. It dropped thre transmission at 49xxx. I put a grand into it each of the two years I owned it. I put a new radiator in it. Two days later, it was totaled and my parents got squat for it.
I bought a Honda with 176k two years ago. It got past 200k last month. I've put $500 into in two years.
Enuf said!

Toyota is my second fav so props from me.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.