AEBS Air Disk - worth it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" CD iMac and black C2D MacBook
Guys -

I'm sure this has probably been asked before in various guises so forgive me, but I'm looking for a definitive answer.

I currently have an Intel iMac and a MacBook, both running OS X 10.4.11. A couple of Airport Express units stream iTunes to stereos throughout the house. All of this is connected to a 3Com ADSL modem/router/firewall unit which works perfectly well.

I'm tempted to splash the cash on the Gigabit AEBS because:

(1) I like the idea of using the Airport Express units in WDS mode; and (most importantly)

(2) The Air Disk function really appeals to me, not least because at the moment I leave my hard drive and iMac running 24/7 so that it can back up in the small hours, whereas I understand Air Disk to automount so I could use timed settings on the iMac.

I've spent much of the weekend reading about problems with Air Disk but it does seem that these problems are primarily with Leopard users.

What is the general consensus here about Tiger and Air Disk?

In short, am I buying a white elephant or is the AEBS worth my cash?

If the Air Disk function is a pup, I'll save my hard earned!

Views please.....

Reaction score
Personally I think that the airdisk works great. I have 4 computers in the network that can utilise it, one of those is running Windows Xp, one is on tiger and the other 2 run Leopard. I have had no real problems running it under either Leopard or Tiger. The problem that I did have with it was running it on the latest firmware which was 7.2.1 i think. I reinstalled the 7.1 firmware on it and it is running perfectly again. I have a minimax hdd with a built in usb hub and i have another hard drive connected to that and also a printer.
I think the Leopard problems are more to do with Leopard itself as I have had some strange happenings using Leopard.

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" CD iMac and black C2D MacBook
Thanks Jooty - that's really helpful.

Do you think I might do better putting some extra down for the Time Capsule when it's released? I like the idea of the inbuilt HDD (although I wonder whether it is easily replaced in the event that it breaks).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.