How to handle the waiting...

Reaction score
OK. I've taken the plunge and ordered my new Mac Pro last night. Unfortunately, the configuration I want is a custom build and the estimated delivery date is Feb 25 - Mar 3. ARGH!!!!

Now I have to somehow keep from going nuts with anticipation. I'm afraid this is actually going to kill me waiting up to 3 weeks for my new box to get here. Of course I'm perusing the forums, and I also picked up the Leopard Missing Manual book. These will help, but 3 weeks!?!?!

Anyway, I just wanted to share the good news about my order. So, since I have placed my order do I officially qualify as a switcher, or do I have to wait until I can make my first post to the forums on my new Mac to gain the coveted switcher status? :D

Scott

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.4GHz w/ WD My Book 500GB HDD. MacBook Pro 2.4GHz. iPhone 5, white, 16 Gigs.
Oh... I don't know... I figure that since you've already spent the money, that you are now committed. ;-)

Best way to kill those three weeks is to arm yourself with knowledge of the system. Lots of good information online and printed to help you in this respect. Apple site has their "101" series for folks switching, for example. It should make the transition easy.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5" i5 iMac 2011, 12 GB RAM
I posted the same thing in a thread not long ago. I only had to wait a week but even that anticipation was killing me. On the day it came the guy came at 4:30 PM! I was sure it wasn't going to come.

To kill the time I watched just about every online Mac video I could find on Apple's site and even on Youtube. I read a few books from my library (yeah.. I'm cheap) on Leopard. Learn all you can and at times you'll have to keep busy with other stuff just to keep your mind off it. Hope it goes by fast for ya!

Scott

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mid'09 MBP; 2.53GHz; 8GB RAM; OS X 10.8.2 | 2G iPod Touch 32GB | iPhone 5 iOS 7.1 16GB | iPad Air
I posted the same thing in a thread not long ago. I only had to wait a week but even that anticipation was killing me. On the day it came the guy came at 4:30 PM! I was sure it wasn't going to come.

To kill the time I watched just about every online Mac video I could find on Apple's site and even on Youtube. I read a few books from my library (yeah.. I'm cheap) on Leopard. Learn all you can and at times you'll have to keep busy with other stuff just to keep your mind off it. Hope it goes by fast for ya!

Scott
that's what i did almost word for word.
i waited for a week and mine came at 4:45 PM!
i had given up already!
but then you'll see it is so worth the wait...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.4GHz w/ WD My Book 500GB HDD. MacBook Pro 2.4GHz. iPhone 5, white, 16 Gigs.
I read a few books from my library (yeah.. I'm cheap) on Leopard.

Scott

I believe the term that you are thinking of is "frugal"... ;-)

Reaction score
I know what you mean. I just picked up my iMac on Friday. I had been planning switching for about 6 months. I have to say that the anticipation is the best part. I don't want to say I'm sorry I switched but the waiting/wanting is much better than having. Don't get me wrong I love my iMac and don't regret switching. I think my problem was that I over learned so that yes as exciting as it is I think I cheated myself out of some of the thrill. Let's not forget though that after all it is shiny and cool looking. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
Well, how about this thread which I just posted in response to another similar query. It suggests a different way of looking at the waiting. Try it out!

OP
S
Reaction score
Well... I do have a major project on the table now that should keep me busy. The wife and I went out and bought a new computer desk from an unfinished furniture store yesterday. In addition to that, she suggested that we go ahead and move up our plan to rip the carpet out of the study and install the hardwood flooring that we were planning on doing later this year. This means I'll be busy on the evenings I'm not in class with staining and finishing the new desk, and then the weekend project will be ripping up and installing the new hardwood floor.

Since I really enjoy woodworking and home improvement projects, this is really going to be a lot of fun. I'm also enjoying bragging around the office about my new purchase and also what is soon to be my newly renovated home office. I think I'll be able to make it, but I'm still really anxious.

Now I just have to figure out how to break it to the wife that I need to spend another $200ish for an external hard drive for Time Machine. Oh well, I'll figure out something.

Scott

OP
S
Reaction score
Looks like the waiting isn't going to be nearly as bad as I thought. I purchased the Mac Pro over the phone and when I got the confirmation e-mail it had an estimated ship date of Feb 21 - 26, and a delivery date of Feb 25 - Mar 3. The mere thought of having to wait up to 3 weeks was driving me nuts.

This morning, I checked my e-mail and I have an order update from Apple. My Mac Pro shipped out Feb 12. From 2 weeks to ship to shipping out in 3 days. Suffice to say I'm rather happy right now.

Now I just have to get the study ready for the new baby. New hardwood laminate flooring. New computer desk needing to be picked up, stained and finished. This is going to be one busy weekend, especially so since the wife is working Saturday and we have tickets to the Stars game on Sunday.

Can't wait to make my first post here from the new Mac.

Scott

OP
S
Reaction score
Still waiting, and pretty much losing my mind. It's about 2:10PM here, and I'm waiting on the FedEx guy to get here. I'm so anxious in fact, that I saw a FedEx truck roll past my house about 10:00AM and I chased him down. I mean I got in my car and drove after him to his next stop and asked if maybe he missed my house. Turns out, FedEx has different trucks for Air and Ground shipping and he was the Air shipping guy. ARGH!!!

So, here I sit reading the forums and waiting with barely contained excitement. I'm looking out the window every time I think I hear a vehicle go by. I don't think I have been this anxious about a delivery since my wife was giving birth to our son. Now, just so you don't think I'm completely nuts, that was a MUCH more anxious and exciting wait than this is. This wait is more like when I was a kid and it was Xmas eve. Ah, to relive my youth. :)

Hopefully my next post will be soon, and hopefully it will be from my shiny new Mac Pro.

Scott

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 Gigabit 400 Single. 40GB , 1.25GB RAM. OS 10.4.11 Tiger
LOL. And I thought being excited about simply ordering a Tiger disc from ebay to install on this old freebie G4 gigabit was bad.
Congrats. on the new "baby".

Reaction score
IM in exactly the same situation WORD for WORD. Ive rang apple every day to get them to hurry up. Anyway some comfort I have is that somewhere my baby is in transit but not sure when its gonna turn up. I cant get my mind of the wait so im constnatly stuck to reading forums and learning.

As they say the best things come to those who wait !!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16 Blackbook 1gb/160gb
Hopefully your setting it up now!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OP
S
Reaction score
Hopefully your setting it up now!

No. I can definitely say though that FedEx is torturing me. I've been waiting all day for this. Now I have to go to class and my wife won't be home for another 20 minutes or so. I'm sure he'll get here 5 minutes after I leave for class. Then I'll be on the end of the delivery schedule for tomorrow and not get it until 5:30 after going nuts all day again. :Grimmace:

Wish me luck in coming home to my new Mac.

Scott

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Bummer (so far). Good Luck. Some of us will still be here after your class, so a yay, or nay, would be good. LOL
Living vicariously through others.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
I've waited 2 weeks for the power cord for my mini to arrive. It finally came in today. Luckily, I had my Pro to keep me busy in the meantime.
I have two 7300 GT's and some more RAM that should be landing this week. I think the RAM should have come in today if it wasn't President's Day. Darn USPS.

I wouldn't consider yourself a switcher until you have it. Who knows, maybe you might hate OS X with a passion. Some people, sadly enough, do.

OP
S
Reaction score
WOOHOO!!!!!!

I'm making my first post on my new Mac Pro. This is awesome. I'm so happy right now. It's great knowing that at the moment at least, this computer has absolutely nothing to do with Windows.

Oh, but the questions that I'm going to have for you guys in the coming days and weeks. The very first thing I have noticed is that I'm getting audio from the Mac itself and NOT thru the Boston Acoustic speakers that I have hooked up to it. I'll probably end up starting several threads this week alone to get answer.

Shortly I'm going to install my first pieces of software from CD, if I can figure out how to get the DVD drive open that is. :)

Thanks in advance for all the help I know is going to be coming my way.

Scott

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
System Preferences> Sound> Output. Change it from internal to which ever audio port you're using.

OP
S
Reaction score
System Preferences> Sound> Output. Change it from internal to which ever audio port you're using.

Thanks. Got it. I now have sound, just need to transfer some music and figure out how to play them.

The big question mark for me right now is how to load a disc??? Still hunting for that at the moment.

I'm such a noob right now. It's great and I'm lovin' it. Does make me feel rather like an idiot though.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.