Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
You have found the eject button on the keyboard, right? :p

OP
S
Reaction score
You have found the eject button on the keyboard, right? :p

Yeah. I think I just tapped it too fast the first time I hit it, or the system was busy with something else... Who knows. I'm sure I'll get used to it.

I'm debating whether to put away the Mac keyboard and mouse and hook up my MS Natural that I know and love so much. The one MS product that I truly adore is the Natural keyboards, and their mice are pretty nice too.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes, you have to hold the eject button. Apple chose to do this to prevent ejects if the button accidentally tapped.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" Matte 2.33 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM
OP
S
Reaction score
Well... Here is my day one update. I've only been on my first Mac for a couple of hours total. Pretty hard to resist since I'm working from home this week, but I have a lot going on at work so it's not too painful.

So far, I'm really loving Spaces. Coming from a Unix background, this is something that I'm quite familiar with, but it is just so smooth and well done it's a joy. Also, I'm getting used to Safari and my "Missing Manual" book has shown me at least one truly AWESOME trick in Safari. That is to open a set of tabs in the browser and then create a bookmark that opens all the tabs with a single click. That really rocks because I'm always on the same half dozen sites everyday.

Mail looks pretty good, and I was happy to see it automatically flag a couple of e-mails as junk. This brings me back to the setup process in general... I've never been able to simply plug in, answer a few questions and go. The setup was absolutely amazing, and the short into video was very cool too. I was especially impressed with how simple mail was to setup. I automatically configured the POP and SMTP stuff for me.

So far, my expectations for this switch are pretty much on par. Assuming things continue going in the same direction I'll be a switcher for life. In fact, it's really hard for me to imagine using Windoze for anything at this point other than a little gaming.

I went ahead and hooked up the Apple keyboard and mouse that came with my new Mac. I'm actually surprised at how easy it is to use. I've been a diehard for the ergo keyboards for years now. I'm going to give it a few more days so I can look down at the Control, Option, and Command keys to get use to their locations before I switch back. I also like the key labels for the disk eject, speaker volume, etc. Too bad my MS Natural doesn't have the Mac key markings.
I'm in the process of downloading the combo 10.5.2 update right now. My new box did NOT come with the 10.5.2 update. I'm sure I'll be updating this again later on this evening.

One quick question... While typing in this post, I've had to backup on a line of text to correct a typo a few times. If I hit the "End" key thinking that will get me back to the end of the current line, I end up at the bottom of the page. How do I get the behavior I'm expecting here?

Thanks again.

Scott
One happy switcher

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, the Mac Pro is an excellent choice. You can throw anything at it and it will perform brilliantly. With your book, there should be anything standing in your way.
Apple did a great job making a lot of the little apps so easy to use.
GL.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 Gigabit 400 Single. 40GB , 1.25GB RAM. OS 10.4.11 Tiger
Glad it finally showed up and you are enjoying it.
My old Win. Lap finally gave up, so after I get Tiger installed on this old Gigabit, get some learning time in, and see how I like it, I just might be looking into a Mac Laptop of some sort as well.
The Dell I built online a few weeks back was just as much as a Mac.
I seem to be seeing good stuff about Mac refurbs. I may even pursue that avenue as well.
Congrats. again.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.