Password problem

Reaction score
Hi,

I just bought a macbook recently and I've been having some problems with my Administrator password. When I go to change settings on some applications there is a lock on it. I click on the lock and it tells me to to enter my admin name and password. I do so but it keeps telling me that the name or password is incorrect. So then I decided to reset my password by putting in the install disc etc. and thought this would solve the problem. When i restarted the computer it asked for my (new) name and password so I could log on to my desktop and that worked fine. But then when I went to change settings after clicking on the lock the same 'name or password is incorrect' message comes up.

Any suggestions of what to do would be great. Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Create a new user and give it administrative privileges. Then log into that user and try again.

BTW... what apps/changes are you trying to do, if I may ask?

OP
L
Reaction score
Hi,
I tried that but it wont work. I go to add a new user and everything is in grey and wont allow me to click on it. Then again the lock is in the bottom left hand corner and it says 'click on the lock to make changes'. I do so and my problem arises again. It asks for the administrators name and password and then when I type them it it says they're wrong.:Angry:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
Is this macbook second hand

have you done any system software upgrades on it

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.4/2GB/200HD/256 8600gt
you may in the end need to use the leopard disks for a reinstall.

if you cant get the admin password, which sounds like u cant...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
It sounds to me that you simply don't have administrative privileges. On the Accounts page with the list of users, does it say you are an administrator?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.