New-Old G4

OP
fred
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 Gigabit 400 Single. 40GB , 1.25GB RAM. OS 10.4.11 Tiger
LOL Soulwar.
GREETINGS from Tiger 10.4.11 !!!!
It arrived today, got installed, got updated, and I'm a happy guy.
Don't know much yet, just got done with a 186mb update and came straight here to crow and cackle.
Easiest thing I ever did. No internet setup, no hardware setup, no nothing, it found everything and everything works. This is the coolest.
Itunes playing some classic 80's (my thing), Home page with flash that works, 6 pack next to me just begging.
Keyboard, mouse, printer, sd card, etc. all found and working with no input from me.
Too good to be true it seems.
A little slower on startup/restart, but that's to be expected I reckon.
Nothing so bad as to be unusable, but noticeable from os 9.
Copied the os9 System folder to the other drive, chose erase and install on the 30GB System Part. of the 60GB master, and unchecked the languages that mean nothing to me.
Hit install, waited a few minutes for the re-start, and booted to OSX.
Chose software update, and here I am a few minutes later on 10.4.11.
Is everything on Mac this easy ??
Anyway, got to go play and tinker, be back later with more crowing and cackling I hope.

BTW, the guy with the "Macs" does have a couple, but he wants to sell 'em.
The junk he gave me was just easier than taking them to the dump I guess.
What he has for sale are old se's. Maybe good for collectors I guess.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Good going. I was pretty sure you would like Tiger once you got it. Let us know how it grows on you as you use it more.

If you have any questions about OSX, just ask away!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 17" 1Ghz G4  iPhone 3G  10.5.5
Congrats! New you would love it! ;)
And yes, Macs are that easy!
Have some fun, drink up and get back to us! (Having some drinks myself!) TGIF! :)

OP
fred
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Good going. I was pretty sure you would like Tiger once you got it. Let us know how it grows on you as you use it more.

If you have any questions about OSX, just ask away!
Thanks dtravis, You know this is where I'll come with questions.
Is there anywhere else ??
Don't answer, I'm not looking.
Thanks again to all for tolerating me with my "noobness" (it's not over BTW, LOL), being so kind, helpful, and otherwise "just good folks".
People like you all help more than you will ever realize for new people like me.
I can only hope to be as much of a help to others in the future as you have been to me.
This place is great.

OP
fred
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Congrats! New you would love it! ;)
And yes, Macs are that easy!
Have some fun, drink up and get back to us! (Having some drinks myself!) TGIF! :)
Thanks Soulwar.
Cheers, Here's to ya' LOL

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Not a mac: Windows XP, Ubunu 8:04 2GB's RAM Intel petuimu 4
Well well hear I am hearing about these mac's and not owning one. Which I am now really wanting a mac of some sort thanks to this post.

These people are so nice and kind and VERY helpful you don't get this when your using a PC.

Now this is what I call service.

I am going to try and get my self a Mac now.

OP
fred
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well billydilly, I'm no expert by any means, in fact I'm not even proficient in the Mac arena by any stretch of the imagination.
These folks here are great and it seems no question is too ridiculous for them to answer in a way that noobs can understand, without the condescending intonation of text found elsewhere.
They have all been so helpful with opinions, instructions, links, etc., as to make it really enjoyable to post here.
I had some reservations at first, but they have eliminated them completely.
If you can get hold of a Mac, I suggest it highly. So far it's great. Mine was free so I had some wiggle room to spend money on things after I got it running.
I probably would not have thought of it otherwise.
I've used PC's for years, but was always "scared" of Macs.
Now, even with this old machine, I wonder why I waited so long.
I've never installed a new OS and updates on any PC that was this painless.
Since it was/is so easy, I'm thinking of treating this old monkey to some brand new drives today before I get too much installed on it. Later I will upgrade the processor to get some speed back (although it runs perfectly fine now)
Since (and others correct me here) the machine was limited to a max 128GB on OS9, with Tiger now running, I'm thinking of a couple 160WD's.
For $60.00 each at Best Buy right now, they should hold all the music I have plus room for some movies for quite awhile.
Re-reading this, I sound like a kid with a new toy, but at least my new toy works.
Good luck finding/buying your Mac if you so decide.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Not a mac: Windows XP, Ubunu 8:04 2GB's RAM Intel petuimu 4
Well billydilly, I'm no expert by any means, in fact I'm not even proficient in the Mac arena by any stretch of the imagination.
These folks here are great and it seems no question is too ridiculous for them to answer in a way that noobs can understand, without the condescending intonation of text found elsewhere.
They have all been so helpful with opinions, instructions, links, etc., as to make it really enjoyable to post here.
I had some reservations at first, but they have eliminated them completely.
If you can get hold of a Mac, I suggest it highly. So far it's great.
I've used PC's for years, but was always "scared" of Macs.
Now, even with this old machine, I wonder why I waited so long.
I've never installed a new OS and updates on any PC that was this painless.
Since it was/is so easy, I'm thinking of treating this old monkey to some brand new drives today before I get too much installed on it. Later I will upgrade the processor to get some speed back (although it runs perfectly fine now)
Since (and others correct me here) the machine was limited to a max 128GB on OS9, with Tiger now running, I'm thinking of a couple 160WD's.
For $60.00 each at Best Buy right now, they should hold all the music I have plus room for some movies for quite awhile.
Re-reading this, I sound like a kid with a new toy, but at least my new toy works.
Good luck finding/buying your Mac if you so decide.

Believe me im looking every where for best buy I love old machines and reading that just put a HUGE smile on my face and giving it a new life (and it WILL give you a new life).

I'm glad your here and im glad I am even knowing I don't own a Mac I still like heading and hearing about them. I have helped some people even knowing I don't no a thing about Mac's.

Some of the thing's on a PC are also on a Mac e.g the delete key ect....

Have some fun with your new son/daughter (or maybe your the new son/daughter and he's the grandpar/grandmar). I mean Mac :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hey Fred! I found this on the Specs for your Mac...
"Can officially support two Ultra ATA/66 hard drives -- drives larger than 128 GB are not supported. It could be configured with up to three 10,000 RPM Ultra160 SCSI drives at the time of purchase as a build-to-order option."
Make sure I have the right specs.

http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/powermac_g4/stats/powermac_g4_400_2.html

I'll look around, but you may want to consider an external HD, for higher than 128GB.
EDIT: three 10,000 RPM Ultra160 SCSI drives (never mind???) ;)

Reaction score
Public opinions on the "best" browser to use with Tiger.
Can be all in one or stand alone with mail seperate.
Looking for feature sets, ease of use/learning, available or included plugins, stability,etc.
You likely are aware of it, but for the record, Mozilla's all-in-one SeaMonkey ain't half bad.
Web-browser, advanced e-mail and newsgroup client, IRC chat client, and HTML editing made simple -- all your Internet needs in one application.
When browsing, the keyboard shortcut Command-2 fires up the email (Thunderbird was cloned from it) window.

The browser uses Firefox's updated Gecko engine and runs many extensions/add-ons. This page lists and has links to many of them. Mozilla's site has others.

OP
fred
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks Soulwar and Brown Study.
I stand corrected. I thought OS 9 was the limiting factor on drive size. Guess not. Must have been the max. RAM I was thinking of. Though I do have a pci IDE controller for use, I may just use the PC's 250gb as the server. I was able to successfully share "My Music" and "My Pictures" on it with the Mac, so I guess I really don't "need" another drive just yet for the Mac.
Seeing that the PC has a "superdrive" and a vid. card with RCA inputs to rip VHS tapes, maybe it will become the "mule" instead of bogging the Mac down with large drives and ripping/encoding software.
It serves the Mac, and the Mac serves the A/V.
Seems fitting to me for a PC to serve a Mac don't you think ? ;D
I guess I will have to hunt up a vid. card for the Mac to send video to the TV though.
I have read a little on SeaMonkey and may give it a try at some point, but for now, I need to get used to all Tiger includes. I've not even scratched the surface yet.

Yeah, The spec. link looks correct.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
See if this helps for finding compatible upgrades...(Hope the links directs you correctly)

http://eshop.macsales.com/MyOWC/Models.cfm?TI=0336

It should look like this...
1) Our records indicate that you have a Apple PowerMac G4 Gigabit Ethernet 400MHz (2000).

If this is correct, select the type of upgrade your are interested in below and click continue.
Select the Type of Upgrade You Are Interested In:
Data Storage Upgrades (Hard Drives, CD & DVD Drives, etc.)
Hard Drive Controller Upgrades
Memory Upgrades
Processor Upgrades
Software Upgrades
Video Upgrades

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Seems fitting to me for a PC to serve a Mac don't you think ? ;D
LOVE IT! ;)

OP
fred
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks Soulwar.
Link was the right direction. Though the three cards don't have RCA jacks, they do however have SVHS ports. My A/V stuff has them as well, so it looks all good on that.
Pics. and Music was easy enough to share, but this printer is whoopin' me at the moment.
I want the printer on the Mac to be used by the PC in case it's local printer is /runs out of ink.
Much fun in da' house today !! I know it will do it, just having a little trouble getting it done.
I'm finding very quickly this Mac will do almost anything, and I LIKE IT! :D

Guess I need to change the PC name to "SERVANT" :D :D LOL

EDIT:
Just DL'd Bonjour for pc and the shared printer works perfectly now.

NEXT ???? LOL

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Just DL'd Bonjour for pc and the shared printer works perfectly now.
Hey! you beat me to it! (learnin' quick!):p

OP
fred
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
LOL Thanks Soulwar.:)
The older I get, the more "lazy?" I get.
If it don't work after a couple tries :Grimmace: , online search is my friend. Being the sometimes impatient soul that I tend to be, it saves a lot of destruction sometimes. ;D LOL

OP
fred
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well after a day of my own browser wars, I like Opera 9.26 with the lix-1_5 skin. Just looks good.
Out of 7 different browsers, none really jumped out as terribly faster than the others. This could be due to the fact that all of them exceed the machine hardware at this point, but at least it's the same hardware for all.
Flash is slow and jerky on some sites, but it's consistent to all browsers, so a processor and vid. card upgrade are in order soon I think to help the issue.
Tiger is accepting my tinkering like a champ. No problems with anything yet.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
And you were worried....;)
Glad to hear everything's working out!
How's the Wife like the new "Mac Cave"? :)

OP
fred
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
:D :D
So far, so good. I made a few points by getting the printer shared.
She gets a 'lil cranky if the PC runs out of ink while she's printing homework and there are no extras on hand.
I know, she could check the levels before she started, but ...............:Smirk:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Struth fred you are living dangerously. What if SHE should read your posts? I found the best non CPU upgrade for my Gigabit Ethernet was a 7200 RPM 120GB HDD with 8MB cache. Huge improvement.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.