• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Safari 3.1 coming... 2.5 times FASTER than 3.0?

M

MacHeadCase

As long as Apple makes it an update available to Tiger users as well... That's all I ask for. I find Safari flaky at times and it crashes. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
C2D 27" W/ MAGIC MOUSE,iPhone 3GS
As long as Apple makes it an update available to Tiger users as well... That's all I ask for. I find Safari flaky at times and it crashes. :)

My good friend macheadcase!(Remember i was the one with the kernel panic iMac that you soo graciously helped out??).Good to see you..
Moving on with my post entry:
I tend not to use Safari because it does crash very often,Thus causing me to use FLOCK web browser because of the presets i use for blogging and uploading pictures to Flickr(Flock has only crashed on me 1 time since using it).When i had Tiger it would crash and with Leopard it still crashes from time to time.Maybe this next so called update will gear towards both Tiger and leopard users(Do not see why the updates would stop for that OS ).
There is another report going around stating that the update is only included within the Leopard Interface.

M

MacHeadCase

Howdy ibookmobile! :)

Well if it's only for Leopard users, that's a total bummer. I am not going Leopard for a while: not until the OS is more stable anyhow. The way I see it, it might need at least two more updates to correct most of the bugs.

Reaction score

I didn't realize you were still using Tiger! Me also although I am not experiencing crashes with Safari. I wonder why some are and some aren't. Like you I sure hope this new one applies to Tiger also.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
white Macbook, Ipod nano 1st&3rd gen
I hope that there are more customizable features on the next safari e.g. Themes like firefox :D

Reaction score
MHC, I think it's good to hold out on Leopard for now, but I also think that 10.5.2 is the "real Leopard" they were wanting to ship. Just a few weeks away now.

As for Safari, I tried the latest build of Webkit and must say I didn't notice much. Maybe it really makes a difference only on very high bandwidth connection, I'm on a 10MBit/s here and 25MBit at my college apartment. Tests were done on a fibre channel.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Howdy ibookmobile! :)

Well if it's only for Leopard users, that's a total bummer. I am not going Leopard for a while: not until the OS is more stable anyhow. The way I see it, it might need at least two more updates to correct most of the bugs.
After doing allot of reading.The pointer looks as though its aiming all the focus on a new supposed MBP and for it to support 10.5.2 update due no later than march 5th

M

MacHeadCase

MHC, I think it's good to hold out on Leopard for now, but I also think that 10.5.2 is the "real Leopard" they were wanting to ship. Just a few weeks away now.

As for Safari, I tried the latest build of Webkit and must say I didn't notice much. Maybe it really makes a difference only on very high bandwidth connection, I'm on a 10MBit/s here and 25MBit at my college apartment. Tests were done on a fibre channel.

Fibre channel? Well goll-eeee!

After doing allot of reading.The pointer looks as though its aiming all the focus on a new supposed MBP and for it to support 10.5.2 update due no later than march 5th

Nah that Safari update won't change much of anything for the majority of us then.

OP
L
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
I doubt they will update it for Tiger. Judging from the article, this is more than just an update to the Safari app but a whole major tweaking of the Webkit. Besides, it didn't take them long to leave Safari for Panther in the dust also once Tiger was out the door. Good gawd... I tried using Safari recently on my Powerbook, still running 10.3, and you could really tell how far behind it got left.

I really find it curious how so many people have problems with Safari, and Leopard for that matter. Besides this one quirk I recently had that seems to be related to the more-recent Quicktime update, I've been trouble-free. I can't say Safari has never crashed, but it is pretty rare, and does so no less than Firefox has.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

Hey Yogi - long time no see!

I'm just giving the latest nightly a test drive as well:

It might be a little bit faster, but it's not the huge increase the article implies.
Then again, the only sites I really find "slow" with Safari are AJAX heavy things such as my netvibes personalized homepage.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP Core Duo 2.0GHz 1.5GB, 20" iMac C2D 2.4GHz 4GB, PowerPC G4 500MHz 512MB
I just downloaded webkit build r30119 to see how fast it is.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes im as well giving webkit a run and as i can tell i do see a bit of overall speed difference(By loading the same page on safari and webkit at the same time on the same type of specs on each machine).Webkit did not crash as i visited a friends website whereas safari crashed immediately and always does when i visit his site.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
I have very few problems with safari 3.0.4 under Tiger.

I don't know why I have so few problems, the only thing I can think of is that I keep my fonts very much under control (outside of the essential system fonts I only load up other fonts when I need them for design work and have them close down at shutdown)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
I am using Safari 3.0.4 under Tiger 10.4.11 and have had zero problems with it. Very stable, very nice.

M

MacHeadCase

I don't think it's font-related: I use FontExplorer X to keep my font usage tidy.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
I've had no problems with Safari 3.0.4 on Tiger since the last update to JavaScriptCore.

Before that, though, it was pretty shady. There were quite a few reproducible instant-crash scenarios.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
well I have taken the plunge and downloaded the test webkit

It works under Tiger and we will see if it is fast and stable

I am using it now

M

MacHeadCase

I've had no problems with Safari 3.0.4 on Tiger since the last update to JavaScriptCore.

Before that, though, it was pretty shady. There were quite a few reproducible instant-crash scenarios.

Hey tech! Howdy!

And that Java update, you got it through Software Update? I'm up to date...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.