• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Safari 3.1 coming... 2.5 times FASTER than 3.0?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.6GHz Core i7 15" MacBook Pro - 8GB DDR3 SDRAM - 750GB 7200 RPM HDD - GeForce 650M GT 1GB VRAM
Yay! Thanks for the info, Discerptor. That's very cool!

It look like Tiger's 3.0.4 Safari has a problem when its cache is too full, it crashes. I've sent numerous reports to Apple, but half the time the report window doesn't even show up.

Version 3.1 preview seem to be far more stable, actually. The RAM... I might have jumped he gun on talking about, but we'll see when I really push the browser. They actually added a new menubar item called "Develop" (though I don't know if this is simply a replacement for Debug) that lets you do a variety of things, including viewing the page with a different app and switching user agents. The user agent list is quite updated, with new options including Internet Explorer 7, Firefox 2.0.0.11, and Mobile Safari for the iPhone or iPod Touch. My one issue with the new version so far is that on Facebook when I search for something, fr some reason I can't press the down arrow key to go through the list of suggested completions; I actually have to click it.

Reaction score
1) Press Command-T
2) Press Command-Shift-Right Arrow (or left arrow, depending which way you want to go)
3) I'm on a laptop, so I've never considered this a problem
4) I've never used that function, but I see what you mean. That is annoying.

1.) but why can't I just click on it with my mouse? let's say your drinking warm chocolate with one hand and your mouse is in the other. I know that I can right click and select new tab but a dedicated button seems more simple
2.) but tell me this, when you have 40+ tabs open, and you want to see the 40th one you can't, it will render the page but you can't see to which tab does that page belong to ;D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24" 2.8Ghz 4GB LEOPARD
1.) but why can't I just click on it with my mouse? let's say your drinking warm chocolate with one hand and your mouse is in the other. I know that I can right click and select new tab but a dedicated button seems more simple
2.) but tell me this, when you have 40+ tabs open, and you want to see the 40th one you can't, it will render the page but you can't see to which tab does that page belong to ;D

You can always get the TwiceTab add-on so that you can simply double click to open a tab. It's not a button on the tool bar but I find it works just as well if not better. http://infinite-labs.net/Twicetab/index-en.html

Also look at PithHelmet and Saft add-ons. All three of these apps really make browsing with Safari a stellar experience.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.