• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Safari 3.1 coming... 2.5 times FASTER than 3.0?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
Well so far this new safari web kit does indeed seem lightning fast

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I really find it curious how so many people have problems with Safari, and Leopard for that matter. Besides this one quirk I recently had that seems to be related to the more-recent Quicktime update, I've been trouble-free. I can't say Safari has never crashed, but it is pretty rare, and does so no less than Firefox has.

I am running 10.5.1 here and really have no major issues with Leopard at all. There are some sites that Safari does not get along with, but otherwise it rarely crashes here and I use it all the time on a daily basis. For the few sites that it does not like I just use Camino, but it's rare.

I tried that new WebKit and it does seem a bit snappier here. It was late when I tried it, so will try it again now that I am more awake, but it did seem faster on some sites.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.06 iMac i3|12GB|500GB
Webkit is pretty quick here too.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Intel Core 2 2.16 GHz 2 GB iPod video(30GB) and a Shuffle(new)
Howdy ibookmobile! :)

Well if it's only for Leopard users, that's a total bummer. I am not going Leopard for a while: not until the OS is more stable anyhow. The way I see it, it might need at least two more updates to correct most of the bugs.

Yea same here my friend and I bought two macbooks hers is newer by one model so i came with leopard but mine is still tiger and i love tiger! I wont switch until as you said, they put out more updates.

Reaction score
The only issue I have is that my links on the Wired News thing on my iGoogle homepage don't work in it, but work in IE and Firefox.

Example Link

Reaction score
Yea dudes, I've been away for a while, busy with Uni. I hope to post more in the future, I've got a few commitments to get rid of :)

Nice to see my absence was noticed :-D it makes me feel so good I'll send in a card to PostSecret :p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook- 2.2GHz, 1gb RAM, 160GB, Double-Layer Superdrive.
Yeah, I just downloaded WebKit, and it is definitely faster! And welcome back Yogi!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
I'm amazed that people are still having issues with 10.5 at all. Any issues I had went away with 10.5.1 on all of my machines. I'm also not surprised that Safari 3.1 won't be available for Tiger users either.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16 Macbook
Can anyone give me info on how hard this webkit would be to delete if I didn't like it on my system? I'm still fairly new and I looked for safari itself and don't know where webkit would be installed.

I'm intrigued as I do get crashes on safari.

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Can anyone give me info on how hard this webkit would be to delete if I didn't like it on my system? I'm still fairly new and I looked for safari itself and don't know where webkit would be installed.

I'm intrigued as I do get crashes on safari.

Thanks
It's just an application, so when you're done just trash it and it'll be gone.

Reaction score
i have a few wishes from the new Safari:

1.) a "new tab" button
2.) scrolling on the "tab bar"
3.) a button on the search bar because if I drag something i don't want to hit return
4.) when you select some text and right click and select "Search in Google" that it performs the search in a new tab

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Intel Core 2 2.16 GHz 2 GB iPod video(30GB) and a Shuffle(new)

1.) a "new tab" button
3.) a button on the search bar because if I drag something i don't want to hit return
4.) when you select some text and right click and select "Search in Google" that it performs the search in a new tab

aye aye capiton just what i was thinking! I came from windows and used firefox. haven't felt the need to switch but, you listed the 3 biggies on my list for safari

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
1.) a "new tab" button

You do know that if you right click in the tab bar you have the "New Tab" option, right? There is a new tab button in Safari. There used to be a 3rd party App that enabled it (Saficon) but it's not been updated for Safari 3 because the developer is a slacker.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP Core Duo 2.0GHz 1.5GB, 20" iMac C2D 2.4GHz 4GB, PowerPC G4 500MHz 512MB

1.) a "new tab" button

1) Press Command-T
2) Press Command-Shift-Right Arrow (or left arrow, depending which way you want to go)
3) I'm on a laptop, so I've never considered this a problem
4) I've never used that function, but I see what you mean. That is annoying.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
maybe i'll upgrade to safari 3 after this version is out...

still on tiger 10.4.9 and safari 2.something ;)

Reaction score
ive been using webkit on and off
and i must say that at times its far faster than firefox/safari

yesterday was a woot off and i doubt i would have snatched as many things as i did using webkit over firefox

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 Pro - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - macOS Monterey
I've been bouncing between WebKit and Safari the past couple days, and I really haven't noticed any major increase in speed between the two.

Apparently it's just me though.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6
Interesting article, although I do have to wonder exactly how fast people really need websites to load up. I rarely find myself waiting for a site to render, more often net traffic will make the rendering speed completely moot.

I'd also like to see this thing against Firefox 3, which I have been using for the last 4 weeks or so. Beta 3 is very strong, quick, retains all the functionality FF is famous for, and integrates (at least visually) very nicely into Leopard. Incidentally, FF 3 will work perfectly well with Tiger. It's a little concerning to see such a recent OS get left behind.

What's made it so hard for me to give up Firefox, is the idea that with Mozilla, you're part of a greater community. 17% of all net users are Gecko users, compared to barely 7% using Webkit. The payoff of course is that compatibility is often greater.

I do like Safari and still use it for about 25% of my browsing, but in the days of machines now having 2 gigs of memory and 2ghz Dual Core processors pretty much as standard, having a small footprint and maxing out rendering speed, are not my primary concerns. I would say 90% of the websites I visit load in less than a second on any browser I use. Getting them up in 300 msecs as opposed to 500 msecs isn't something I am going to sweat over.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.