Neo office very slow

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
n/a
Hi I'm new to my imac and have just downloaded neo office so i can work on my existing excel and word documents.
Am i doing something wrong or is Neo office really really slow. When i open a 1mb excel file it takes ages to open. It is the same when i click save. The spinning wheel appears and takes ages too. Excel on my old pc was much much quicker! Any ideas would be welcome.
Thanks
Craig

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Here on my iMac G5 NeoOffice takes a while to load. Once it's loaded and running it does not seem that slow at saving documents or loading them. It's not as fast as iWork but not that bad. It's just the loading speed when you click on the Neo Office icon that to me is very slow.

Office on a Windows system seems a lot faster especially at loading at start up because part of Office by default is already in memory when Windows first boots to the desktop, so it loads faster.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Neo Office is reknown for being slow. Much of it is due to it being Java-based. That said... make sure you are using the Intel-optimized build of Neo Office if you do indeed have an Intel iMac.

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
n/a
Thanks guys.
My iMac is intel based. How do i find out if Neo is the right one?
Craig

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
On the downloads page make sure you have downloaded via the link

Download for Mac Intel machines - on the Neo Office pages

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
An easy check is to start it up and then start Activity Monitor. One of the very left hand columns of the Processes display is the code type: either PPC or Intel. If it isn't Intel and you have an Intel Mac, you are running it under Rosetta.

As you have heard, NeoOffice (OpenOffice in general) is known for being somewhat slow to startup. Once running it seems OK though. However if you take something that is slow in its native mode and you then run THAT under Rosetta, it will be REALLY slow!

Hopefully you will find that you are running the PPC version on your Intel Mac. I have NeoOffice loaded on my MacBook Pro 2.2 GHz Core2Duo, and while it is a bit slow to start up, it runs pretty well.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.