time capsule... Huh? Time what?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No Mac : (
hey, i dont quite understand what a time capsule is, i always thought it was an external hard drive, but i dont actually know. So im here to depend on your knowledge. So thanks in advance,

Ben! : D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15", 2.66GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, OS X 10.8.2, iPad 1, 80gb iPod, ATV 1, iPhone 5
It's a wireless router with built in hard drive. That way you can back up with being connected with wires. Also you can share the drive among other computers on the network.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
It's also called "Time Capsule" because it's made to work with Time Machine in Leopard to constantly back up your data.

OP
ben-scargill
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ace, thats kind of cool xD i was half right.

also, does it work with any type of Mac? macbook etc.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook (early 2006): 1.83 GHz Core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM, 250 GB HDD, OSX Leopard and iPod 5th Gen 30GB
as long as you have leopard and the time capsule drive, it should work with any wirelessly enable mac :) I can vouch for time machine :D it's saved me many a headache since I have hyperfingers ;P

dave

OP
ben-scargill
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ace, thats kind of cool xD i was half right.

Reaction score
Are you able to use Time Capsule without using Time Machine though? For example, could I buy a Time Capsule and use it for storing videos and music on and use it to wirelessly share them around the house and accessible from different computers? Im wanting to get a Macbook Air but all of my music is stored on my mini. Could I get a Time Capsule, put all my iTunes music on it and then access the music in iTunes from the Time Capsule?

Thanks in advance,

Edward

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook / Mac Mini
Apple said:
Time Capsule with Time Machine in Leopard is the ideal backup solution. But that doesn’t mean Tiger, Windows XP, and Windows Vista users can’t enjoy the benefits of Time Capsule, too. Because it mounts as a wireless hard drive, Tiger and Windows users simply access Time Capsule directly from the wireless network for exchanging and storing files quickly and easily.

...so yes, you can use it as a regular SMB file server. That's what I plan to use it for when it arrives the 10'th of March.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.