Apple WiFi Advantages and comparisons?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac24aluminum
Hello, all. I've just registered here, as I've just recently gotten my new iMac! :D I'm not a complete newb, but suffice it to say that my Mac experience has been with system 4 through system 7. I'm so glad to be back to using a computer that works properly! I ordered this iMac with XP preinstalled, and haven't even booted it there yet, or even installed my VMWare.

Now, if I may, a question: What advantages, or differences, are there to having and AirPort Extreme as compared to a standard Belkin, etc. N router? I'm assuming it would offer some setup advantages (like a Mac), but I'm wondering whether I'd be better off spending $80-100 less on a standard brand router, and applying the money elsewhere.

This network would be feeding off a RoadRunner cable connection, and supporting the Mac and two PCs.

I've read the FAQ, which answered my other questions, (thanks). If this topic has been covered elsewhere (I wasn't able to find it), please redirect me!

Thanks in advance for all the advice you can offer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Unless you plan on adding external hard drive to the router and/or need more than three Ethernet ports, then go with another brand. I have the D-Link DIR-655 802.11n router and it works great for all of my Macs. Plus, it was a heck of a lot cheaper than the Airport Extreme.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
I concur with Kash. Have that same router. Have a network printer attached to it. Works like a champ with all my Mac and Win PC's, and very nice looking.

Also have a pre-n Linksys which works with no problems.

OP
pilotjones
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac24aluminum
Thanks for the replies. Kepp them coming!

Another question: is the wireless built in to my Mac 2.4 & 5.0 MHz, or just one of those? I can't find it on the Mac website, and I'm seeing some routers being touted as dual band for added interference elimination possibilities. Should I look at these units?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
All Macs come with built in wireless, the only exception being the Mac Pro, where it is an option.

Not sure about dual band routers, but usually simply changing the channel can bypass any interference you may experience.

Reaction score
I have the same router as above -Dlink 655. No issues, great router, easy to use. I currently have 3 PC's and 2 Macs attached along with a networked all in one printer/fax/scanner. I am running 2 external HD's on my iMac, one for time machine and the other for BU for the other computers. All connect with no issues.

OP
pilotjones
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac24aluminum
Sounds great. Funny how you all have the same router. It's a more expensive model (than say the 615 or 625 or 635), but I guess it shows that Mac owners don't skimp.

You people with the networked printers, are they attached via ethernet to the router?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
I prefer Airport Extreme's. They may be more expensive, but I have never used an easier to configure more stable router in my life. They are rock solid and just work.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Have my printer attached via ethernet to the 655. The printer is shared by 2 wired XP machines and 2 wireless Mac's.

Will be trying the Airport Extreme when Time Capsule becomes available.
So, I'll have some feedback on that one and maybe some comparison later this month.

OP
pilotjones
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac24aluminum
Thanks again for the answers. My RoadRunner install just got delayed for another week :Grimmace: , but I think I'll be getting the DIR-655. NewEgg has got it with a bundled 8GB usb stick for $116.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.