Sleep Problems

P

Phleetus

I have a 17in Powerbook (about 7 months old). About every other day or so, I will walk away from my computer and, as it should, it reverts to sleep mode. When i am then ready to use it again, it will not awake. I end up having to push the power button several times before the computer shuts down and then I have to reboot. Any Ideas?

Thanks!

OP
M

m1k

Did you try pushing the esc key? The mouse buttons? Everything? If you have to, just close the lid and leave it for like 3 seconds, then open the lid, it should awaken. But it looks like you have a serious problem. You might want to check out system prefs, see if anything's amiss, and then definitely take your PB to repair. In the meantime, you can just turn off sleep mode altogether unless you close the lid (look in system prefs).

Hope this helps!

OP
P

Phleetus

I have tried the esc, mouse buttons, etc. nothing works. this is my first mac, so i am not real familiar with maintenance issues. Thanks though

OP
M

m1k

Ahh, that's pretty screwed up then :(. I suggest turning off auto-go-to-sleep. System Preferences -> Energy Saver -> Slide the 1st dial (Put the computer to sleep when it's inactive for: ) all the way to the right, so it's set to 'Never'. This will mean that your PB will never go to sleep. You should probably keep it like this until you fix it.

Also, when you close your PowerBook, does it go to sleep like it's supposed to, and when you open your PowerBook, does it wake up like it's supposed to? Just wondering.

Definitely take it in though, it sounds like a hardware problem.

Good luck!

OP
P

Phleetus

most of the time it goes to sleep and wakes up as it should (when i leave it and when i close it). it is just every few days that it decides it doesn't want to respond. thanks for the help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" PB 1.5, 512 ram, superdrive, one sexy computer!
i had a similar problem...see my recent posts. sending in for repair. Good luck to you.

OP
M

m1k

most of the time it goes to sleep and wakes up as it should (when i leave it and when i close it). it is just every few days that it decides it doesn't want to respond. thanks for the help.

My guess is that the battery dies while your PowerBook is sleeping, that's the only logical explanation. I would still take it in, just to make sure though. Good luck!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.