Problems Connecting MacBook to an LCD HDTV

Reaction score
I have a MBP and am attempting to connect it to my Sony Bravia LCD TV with a DVI to HDMI Cable. When I do the TV displays my MBP wallpaper as well as some of the preference windows (display resolution), but it does not display any of my icons or programs windows such as Firefox, iPhoto, etc.

The actual PC port in the Bravia (labeled "PC" on the back) is a VGA connector with audio. I can connect to this, but thought I also could use the the DVI to HDMI connection...is this not true? Am I doing something wrong? Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP Core Duo 2.0GHz 1.5GB, 20" iMac C2D 2.4GHz 4GB, PowerPC G4 500MHz 512MB
I was just looking at how to hook my MBP up to tv through HDMI yesterday. I finally decided I would need a DVI male to HDMI female adapter, which I found for $4 at monoprice.com, plus an HDMI cable (which I already have, hence I just want a DVI to HDMI adapter, not a full cable).

Is your entire screen being displayed, or are the edges of your desktop image being cut off? Maybe you have the tv set to zoom or something like that? If that's not it, I know my tv has HDMI size options (size 1 or 2). I believe it is technically called HDMI pulldown, and it can increase the screen size by 1-2" all the way around. Maybe yours is on the more "zoomed" of those two settings?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
That is all that will display on the 2nd monitor initially. Totally normal.

In that mode, any app you want on the 2nd monitor, just drag it over after you open it.

You should be able to make the external the primary monitor and the MBP screen the secondary also.

The other option is to change to mirror mode, in which case both monitors will be identical.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.4/2GB/200HD/256 8600gt
20080210-m7qmqhmeuuq54qa185g8s8847u.jpg

OP
F
Reaction score
Click. The light bulb went on. It works perfect....just drag the programs over. Couldn't be easier. Thanks to all for the advice and quick responses.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.