Financial Application

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 2009 MacBook Pro  Mid 2007 iMac  4G iPod Touch  iPhone 4S  iPad
I've been a long time Quicken (Windows) user but have heard some not-so-nice things about Quicken for Mac. But I'm somewhat familiar with the Quicken so switching isn't something I want to do if it's unnecessary. Which financial application would you recommend and why?

I'm not so much worried about converting my Windows Quicken file over as I can simply set up a new file on the Mac and download all the cleared transactions. I guess what I really want to know is if Quicken for Mac is a good choice?

Neo

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
white MB 2.16GHz 3GB 320GB 10.6.1
Oh dear me, yes! Quicken for Mac is atrocious. I'll tell you what I do, but Zoolook does not approve ;). I already owned Quicken 2006 from my Windows days, and while I use Fusion and like it, it was a bother to crank it up just to enter a receipt or two.
What works for me is Crossover. It can run some Windows software (Quicken included) without any Windows OS install whatsoever. With Quicken 2006, Crossover does not support internet transaction downloads (yet) but I don't use that feature.
I tried a bunch of the Mac-native financial software (e.g. LiquidLedger...), and it just wasn't as good as Quicken. I hope you can find something that works for you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6
Not sure why you think I would not approve.

To the OP, there are no financial applications on the Mac that match the features and stability of either Quicken for Window, or MS Money. If a decent financial package is really important to you (and it is to me, so I certainly understand), I would use Parallels or Fusion to install WinXP and carry on using Quicken for Windows. I think crossover is too flakey for a financial application, you can see from Neo's experience that full functionality is not there.

I think the situation will improve later this year - iBank 3 is rumoured to be pretty special, and Intuit are working on something for the Mac outside of the quicken brand, but it won't be out for another 7 - 10 months. If you're happy with something REALLY basic, try out Intuit's new web Quicken.

OP
JohnTheMacGeek
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If you're happy with something REALLY basic, try out Intuit's new web Quicken.
I saw that the other day. I didn't think much about it but after reading more about it, this is probably the way I'll go until these other options hit the market.

Neo

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Not sure why you think I would not approve. . . .

Keep reading . . .

. . . I think crossover is too flakey for a financial application, you can see from Neo's experience that full functionality is not there. . .

See, I told you Zoolook wouldn't approve. :) I knew because he said as much a while ago. . .

Crossover is definately not for newbies, not to mention it doesn't have the greatest compatibility.

Of course, Zoolook is correct. Crossover isn't perfect, but it works for me and allows me to use the best financial software available, without cranking up Windows anytime I want to enter a receipt. Financial software must be convenient for me, and this was my best option.

I saw [web Quicken] the other day. I didn't think much about it but after reading more about it, this is probably the way I'll go until these other options hit the market.

I haven't heard of this option. I'll look into it. But it freaks me out a little having my everything-financial on the web. I guess I'm old-fashioned.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13" | MacBook Pro 13" | Mac Mini 2GHz C2D
i use quicken 2007 for mac and i find nothing wrong with it. it even comes with a widget so you can quickly input some receipts without starting quicken up.

OP
JohnTheMacGeek
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i use quicken 2007 for mac and i find nothing wrong with it. it even comes with a widget so you can quickly input some receipts without starting quicken up.
I hadn't heard this before. That makes Quicken an attractive option.

I have another question regarding Quicken. I'll be purchasing two Macs at the end of the month (iMac for my wife and a MacBook for me) but don't want to cough up the money for two copies of Quicken. I understand the legalities of what I'm asking here but that's not my question. I want to know if I can install and run one copy of Quicken, including downloading transactions from my bank, on two machines? I know it couldn't be done on the PC because you had to register it with Intuit before you could run the Online features. I was wondering if it is the same with the Mac version or not?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6
Of course, Zoolook is correct. Crossover isn't perfect, but it works for me and allows me to use the best financial software available, without cranking up Windows anytime I want to enter a receipt. Financial software must be convenient for me, and this was my best option.

I think our idea of convenience is slightly different. You want to avoid loading up window to enter a receipt, whereas I would want to avoid having to manually enter receipts and manually reconcile due to automated downloads not functioning. :D

I had forgotten I made that comment about Crossover previously. :Smirk:

Neo

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I think our idea of convenience is slightly different. You want to avoid loading up window to enter a receipt, whereas I would want to avoid having to manually enter receipts and manually reconcile due to automated downloads not functioning. :D

right, so we agree to disagree :D

I hadn't heard this before. That makes Quicken an attractive option.

I have another question regarding Quicken. I'll be purchasing two Macs at the end of the month (iMac for my wife and a MacBook for me) but don't want to cough up the money for two copies of Quicken. I understand the legalities of what I'm asking here but that's not my question. I want to know if I can install and run one copy of Quicken, including downloading transactions from my bank, on two machines? I know it couldn't be done on the PC because you had to register it with Intuit before you could run the Online features. I was wondering if it is the same with the Mac version or not?

Yes, the widget! I thought that was so cool. In fact, it was the reason I bought Quicken for Mac, despite the bad things I had read about the software. As it turns out, the widget was the only cool thing. I couldn't stand (couldn't even use) anything else. I returned the software the next week.

As for your other question, the legality of it has everything to do with your question. If you want to run Quicken on two machines, you need two Quickens.

OP
JohnTheMacGeek
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
As for your other question, the legality of it has everything to do with your question. If you want to run Quicken on two machines, you need two Quickens.
I understand what you're saying. But that isn't what I wanted to know. I'm probably going with Quicken Online anyway. The more I read about it, the more I like it!

OP
JohnTheMacGeek
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Doing the Right Thing

OK, I broke down and purchased a second copy of Quicken 2007 for the second Mac that will be delivered sometime this week. My conscience was bothering me. I don't want to be one of those pirates (thieves) we all hear about on the news.

BTW, I Googled "Quicken Mac coupon" and found Intuit offering it for $54 instead of the $70 SRP.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.