Resizing Boot Camp partitions in Leopard

Reaction score
I have a MacBook Pro 15" with Leopard. I have boot camp 1.4 with Windows Vista Home Premium (have not upgraded it yet). I want to upgrade it to boot camp 2.0 with my Leopard install disk. Now for the question.

I have the partitions to 32GB FAT partition for Vista and the rest (160GB - 32GB) for Leopard. I want to make them both 80GB. I have no data on any of the operating systems, because this is a new computer (Tiger, Boot Camp 1.4, Vista Premium, upgraded from Tiger to Leopard using flatpack). I also have install disks for both operating systems. I know there is a way to do it by wiping my hard drive, but is there an easier way? It is fine if I have to buy any 3rd party software to do it (iPartition??). I'm very confused. (and a newbie)

Thanks in advance.

OP
J
Reaction score
will that non-destructively resize the partitions? and does it woork with ntfs?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
You want to:
A. Resize both partitions
B. Install Leopard
C. Change the Windows partition from FAT32 to NTFS

The absolute easiest way to do all this is to wipe the drive and just start over again. By the time you find and figure out how to use any 3rd party software to do all of that, you could have finished wiping and re-installing everything at least twice.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
will that non-destructively resize the partitions? and does it woork with ntfs?

Yes. All that information is on the link that I provided for you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac 2.4Ghz, 4GB RAM/320GB HD; BlackBook 2.4Ghz, 2GB RAM/250GB HD
The absolute easiest way to do all this is to wipe the drive and just start over again. By the time you find and figure out how to use any 3rd party software to do all of that, you could have finished wiping and re-installing everything at least twice.

bobtomay: In doing a complete reinstall, do you know if it is possible to use Time Machine to reinstall the Mac side of the partition to it's current state? I've investigated iPartition, but given how infrequently I would need to make changes to my partition, the $50 price seems rather steep.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
If you have a current Time Machine back up - yes...

Insert the Leopard DVD - Double click on the Mac OS X install icon, and then click Restart.

The installer will start upon re-boot, then from the Utilities menu, select Restore System from Backup. You'll then choose the volume that contains your Time Machine backup.

There are some good directions on the Leopard disk. Put it in and double click on it. Then open the Instructions folder. Then open the Install & Setup Guide. What you're looking for is on page 12 starting with Restoring Your System.

If you're wanting to use NTFS for your windows partition and have anything you need from it also backed up, I would recommend restoring your drive to a single volume for the OS X install. Just to alleviate any possible problems later on.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac 2.4Ghz, 4GB RAM/320GB HD; BlackBook 2.4Ghz, 2GB RAM/250GB HD
Thanks for the detailed information.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.