New Policy Regarding Name Retention

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
We've recently received feedback from some of you who would like to use some of the names currently held by inactive members. Well after doing a little analysis, we've come to the rescue.

The Forum Rules have been updated to reflect the following new policy:
User accounts that have been inactive for more than 1 year will be removed monthly.

Please feel free to reply to this thread with your comments on the change!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
Well that was a very good idea!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro, MBP C2D, iMac G4
Sounds like a good idea, although I dont know why it'd be necessary, cant anyone come up with original ideas for names?

B

Badger

I think a year is too long. I would suggest that it be 3 months. Users who are dropped can always reregister if they wish to use the forums again.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
Badger said:
I think a year is too long. I would suggest that it be 3 months. Users who are dropped can always reregister if they wish to use the forums again.
I agree, but I also think that as mac users who "think different", why cant new members come up with their own names? Ive had mine for a while, even before here, so it was a given Id use it, but its not hard to invent a new one.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display
No, a year is fine. 3 months is too short.

B

Badger

Whether someone else wants the name or not, if the user hasn't logged in for 90 days then the account is stale, if not dead. There is no reason to keep it active. Deactivate the account after 90 days, give them another 30 days to re-activate it and keep the same name. If there is no contact by then remove the account. Hold the name for another 60 days then release it to be re-used. That makes 180 days that the name was not used so there shouldn't be any confusion.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro Quad Xeon 2.66GHz 3GB RAM, G4 Quicksilver w/Sonnet 1GHz Encore ST, 1ghz G4 Powerbook
I understand that we only have a few id's left, so I think that 1 year would suffice. (5 years would be fine with me) Someone could very easily be out of commission (ill, military, coma, etc) for 12 months and not be able to log in. If they are that bad off… give'em a break.

schweb, which stale id's are golden?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro Quad Xeon 2.66GHz 3GB RAM, G4 Quicksilver w/Sonnet 1GHz Encore ST, 1ghz G4 Powerbook
Steve Jobs said:
Well I kind of like my new name :)

Steve, did you finish Tiger and do your homework? :biohazard

S

Steve Jobs

immdb said:
Steve, did you finish Tiger and do your homework? :biohazard

Hey, you know the rules about posting Tiger information! I don't want to have to sue myself :cool:

Seriously though, Tiger is shaping up to be a really really cool major OS release, we're going to be introducing some new cool apps and 150+ new features.

More than 150 new features! So we're really excited about that...

Remember to watch the next keynote people!

On a personal note, I really appreciate all of you helping the mac community here, keep up the great work and enjoy your macs & iPods.

steveweb.jpg

P.S. I've got 3 words for you: Powerbook + Dual + Core

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro & 23" ACD
This obviously can't be steve..I mean...What are the chances? Plus, ...we all know how secretive Apple is about unreleased products or concepts...There's no way Apple(or Steve, for this matter) would just tell us...I mean..if he REALLY expected us to believe him...This would be all over Every Mac site in less than an hour!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
ApplejustWorks said:
This obviously can't be steve..I mean...What are the chances? Plus, ...we all know how secretive Apple is about unreleased products or concepts...There's no way Apple(or Steve, for this matter) would just tell us...I mean..if he REALLY expected us to believe him...This would be all over Every Mac site in less than an hour!
yea, plus the developers would know of such a release and most likely, so would I, though I wouldnt tell anyone.
I dont think thats really steve jobs. someone catch him in ichat using isight and see if its really him.

OP
schweb
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
They did, that was one of the recycled names ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display
Badger said:
Whether someone else wants the name or not, if the user hasn't logged in for 90 days then the account is stale, if not dead. There is no reason to keep it active. Deactivate the account after 90 days, give them another 30 days to re-activate it and keep the same name. If there is no contact by then remove the account. Hold the name for another 60 days then release it to be re-used. That makes 180 days that the name was not used so there shouldn't be any confusion.

nope, a year is good.

silly steve.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
schweb said:
They did, that was one of the recycled names ;)
Boy, well someone sure figured out quickly what the change in name policy meant...
Quick someone go check if Steve Woznick is free (how do you spell that name correctly again?)

I can't seem to get to the register page without resetting my cookies which I don't want to do...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
a year is the perfect amount of time, giving that somepeople might go away for a long period of time, to a place where they can't use their computer, like if they are in a business that calls for that
so i think a year is a perfect amount of time. 3 months is to short.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.