Upgrading HD and have a question

Reaction score
I have been looking but haven't found an answer to this particular question.
Here's my plan:
1: Use Superduper to clone my existing drive to a 320GB WD Passport external drive.

2:Remove the hard drive from the Passport enclosure.

3:Swap out drives and power up without having to do anything else.

Can this be done or do I have to import everything from an external drive of some kind?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2ghz,1 GB, 250 gig
that shouldnt be a problem,i did the same last week using superduper.as long as you make sure that you check the box that asks if you want to copy all the applications or something in that kind,dont remember exactly.superduper will ask you that anyway.just make sure your WD harddrive is a S-ATA drive.otherwise youre good to go...;-) g
ps;just make sure all your data is copied correctly before you delete it on the old drive.might save you kickin your own ****.

Reaction score
after you clone to the Passport drive but before you swap it out, try booting from it (select the boot drive from System Preferences) to make sure that everything is working. If it's all good, then you can swap them out.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, 2GHtz, 2Gb RAM, 320Gb HDD. 16Gb iPT Jailbroken.
Make sure that the new hdd will fit, the maximum height for macbook hdd 9.5mm. I think drives over 250Gb might be physically too big.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro, Mac Mini, TV, iPhone, Nano
Do you have Leopard? If you do you can do a data migration from the time machine backup. It will copy everything... I didnt even have to re-enter any serial numbers for my programs after my upgrade. It worked perfectly. Install Leopard and then transfer your data. It even kept all my autofill passwords. I couldnt have hoped for it to be any easier.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive
When I updated my hard drive to a 160gig SATA drive, I took the opportunity to combine it with a Leopard upgrade and stick the old drive into a USB enclosure. Install Leopard nice 'n clean and if anything goes wrong I could swap the drive back and be right back where I started.

Now I have a clean Leopard install, was able to copy all my data, bookmarks, calenders etc, or just leave them in place. Anything I wouldn't need while out in the world, that is.

OP
V
Reaction score
Thanks guys.
I checked WD's site and the dimensions are indeed the same.
I can now have my coffee and listen to Ray Charles.
Have a wonderful day,
Jimmy

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.