Remounting External Drives

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Newbie Convert
Hello,
I tried searching...can anyone tell me how to re-mount my external drive after a successful eject without closing all my software, browsers and other workflow user tools to reboot?

Reason: I use my laptop through the week in various locations that I need to keep everything ( apps ) open for. However, because I need to remove the cable from the external drive for packing, I must correctly eject the drive before closing the lid.

Once I'm at another locale, the MacBook won't show the drive after I connect it and I can't figure out how to find that drive without a reboot?

LMK,
Bernard

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air | iPad | iPhone | iPod Classic | iPod Shuffle | no more money
When you plug the drive back in does the drive(s) not just mount automatically?

I guess you could open Terminal (maybe add to your dock if you need it often) and type mount -a I guess that would mount all external volumes again.

OP
Bernard Mac
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Newbie Convert
I tried replugging it in and out a few times...nothing. But, thanks I try the terminal suggestion.

er, agh...what/where is terminal?

Sorry,
Bernard

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air | iPad | iPhone | iPod Classic | iPod Shuffle | no more money
terminal should be in the apps folder.

There are a couple of ways of getting to it.

Open finder and from menu on the left choose applications then just look for an apps called terminal.

Press command (apple) + space to bring up spotlight and type terminal. The first thing in the list should be the apps you're after, either use mouse to click on it or use the arrow keys to go to the apps and press enter.

Terminal is the old school command line interface so looks a little dull but is a powerful little application.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro, 12" iBook G4, 14" iBook G4 running Ubuntu 7.10
It's under Applications --> Utilities --> Terminal

Cheers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2.2GHz Santa Rosa Macbook Pro - 4GB Ram - 120GB HD OS X Leopard - Windows XP
To remount an external hard drive after eject:
1)open up disk utility (applications --> utilities)
2)select the top-most level of your drive in the left sidebar
3)click mount on the toolbar

Hope This Helps...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.