Upgrading RAM: 2GB or 3GB?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 Pro - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - macOS Monterey
So, I'm finally hurting for more RAM.

The 1GB is doing fine, but I really could use the extra room.

I was looking into memory upgrades for my MacBook, and at this point, my best options are either a 2GB (2x1GB) kit which would run Dual Channel, or a 3GB (1GB+2GB) kit which has a 2GB module and a 1GB module.

I know that the normal answer here would be "more is better", or "whatever you can afford", but I'm really looking to max out performance.

I know I probably won't notice much over 2GB, but it's still nice to have that extra gig of space.

My biggest worry is that I wouldn't have a matched set of sticks, which could potentially slow me down.

What do you think would be the way to go?

And yes, I can afford either way. I've been saving my pennies for upgrade time.

bkt

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook Black C2D 2GB, 8GB iPhone
I have upgraded to 2GB of RAM and it lets me nicely run Parallels in the background while doing other stuff. I am not sure what the decrease in performance is putting unpaired modules. What do you do the most on the laptop?

If you are doing a lot in Parallels, then it might be in your benefit to get the 3GB and dedicate 1.25GB to Parallels. If you are doing anything that requires quick RAM (any video games, etc) then I would say that you might want to consider sticking with the 2GB, but again, I don't know the performance difference.

If I knew someone with a 2GB stick I would throw it in here just to test it out (suggest you do the same, if you are able to get find someone). Maybe someone with more insight would be able to throw theirs down. (It would also be nice if we could end the debate and simply put 2x2GB modules in.)

OP
Derek McNelly
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have upgraded to 2GB of RAM and it lets me nicely run Parallels in the background while doing other stuff. I am not sure what the decrease in performance is putting unpaired modules. What do you do the most on the laptop?

If you are doing a lot in Parallels, then it might be in your benefit to get the 3GB and dedicate 1.25GB to Parallels. If you are doing anything that requires quick RAM (any video games, etc) then I would say that you might want to consider sticking with the 2GB, but again, I don't know the performance difference.

If I knew someone with a 2GB stick I would throw it in here just to test it out (suggest you do the same, if you are able to get find someone). Maybe someone with more insight would be able to throw theirs down.

Photoshop dominates my free time as of current, and I use iMovie HD a lot, in lieu of my financial ability to buy Final Cut Express (had Final Cut Pro on my G3, but I don't have the money to get Pro again :( )

OP
Derek McNelly
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OP
Derek McNelly
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, 2GHtz, 2Gb RAM, 320Gb HDD. 16Gb iPT Jailbroken.
Apple should really make these things clearer.

OP
Derek McNelly
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Apple should really make these things clearer.

Well, the video card gets the best performance out of a matched set of sticks (not by much though), and since the machine can't address 4GB of RAM and there are no 1.5GB sticks, the 2GB option was the highest that Apple would recommend.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.