Wi-Fi connectivity issues

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook G4, 1.5Ghz, 768Mb RAM, 80gb hard drive-imac G4-ipod touch 32Gb 3g-Macbook 2.4ghz, 2BG RAM
When I'm traveling around I pick up some unlocked hot spots with moderate to good signal reception. Yet somehow i keep getting 'unable to connect' or 'can't find server' messages. Since i had my touch in early January, i've only been able to connect to 2 hotspots other than my home's.
Any ideas?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air | iPad | iPhone | iPod Classic | iPod Shuffle | no more money
It could be MAC address filtering.

I used to do this due to compatibility problems between my router and a card that was accessing my network - it wouldn't work nice with the WEP security enabled so had to leave the network open and just limit access to the MAC addresses I trusted - not very secure but did the job at the time.

If someone came round with a laptop they could see my network as open but were unable to actually use the network - i.e. no access to computers, shares or internet.

This might be what you're finding with the wireless networks that you've come across.

OP
zacman
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook G4, 1.5Ghz, 768Mb RAM, 80gb hard drive-imac G4-ipod touch 32Gb 3g-Macbook 2.4ghz, 2BG RAM
Thx RNDdave. I was initially wondering if I may have to change certain settings on the ipod. It seems like almost everyone here may have that kind of filtering. maybe.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.