Urgent Student Pre-order Help needed!

Reaction score
Hi,

Called Apple today and it seems that with student discount I can get a MBP much cheaper over thae phone than the quoted website price according to the sales rep I spoke to.

However, they're saying delivery will be 2 weeks with a glossy screen or 3 days with matte and they've asked me to scan my student card (with a photo of me) and send it to them.

Is this the normal procedure?

Cheers.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No Mac : (
im sorry i dont actually know : $ But what year are you in at school?!?!? What year do you have to be in to get a discount? Because you said you got a student discount or something?!?!?!

If your from America you might not get what I mean. If you from the UK and you dont then... one of us is wierd : /

just kidding lolz

OP
V
Reaction score
I'm in year 12 (6th form) - discounts are available for students in school/college and uni although uni discounts are greater.

However, as a college student, I was told that I can get almost equivalent to a uni discount - only over the phone - not on the net.

I'm just worried as to why they need scan of a student card (has a photo on it and stuff)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook- 2.2GHz, 1gb RAM, 160GB, Double-Layer Superdrive.
They need the scan so they may make sure you are a student.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No Mac : (
oh, well i would of thought that was quite obvious : /

Reaction score
asking for 'proof' is not unusual, especially if it is a substantial discount. adobe's educational discount was substantial and required more than a student id.

Reaction score
veej - when ordering online - once you're at the store, at the bottom right of the screen is a link for education (government, etc), click on education. i believe it will ask you for school or you pick out your school, and from there, the prices will change to the educational discount pricing. discounts also apply to applecare coverage.

i ordered my daughter's mbp this way and did not have to send them additional documentation. adobe has a similar setup however, there was one extra step - you had to pick your school and plug in name and ssn, and they ran against a school database, thereby avoiding the need to fax them additional info.

if your school has a website, check them out (bookstore). although my daughter's school didn't sell macs,the adobe software she needed was even less expensive (thru school's website) than the educational pricing found on the net.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air | iPad | iPhone | iPod Classic | iPod Shuffle | no more money
@margaret438 - I think the problem is that if the poster buys over the internet a discount of lets say 5% will apply where as if the order is placed over the phone then a better discount of say 10% will be offered.

Personally I don't see a problem with proving you're a student - you're going to get a good discount - I think it only fair that they make sure you deserve it.

Reaction score
oh my bad. i'll have to call apple customer relations monday, and see if i can get an additional discount (if it is more) on a recent purchase. we'll be willing to jump thru hoops to get a greater discount.

Reaction score
I don't think there should be a privacy issue. At my university, we can print out a PDF confirming our matriculation at any time online.

If they want your student ID, and you don't want to send them that, get a certificate confirming your being a student of that school.

In Switzerland, we have the excellent ETH Neptun program which gets us discounted Macs at great prices, and all they want is a certificate or student ID.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac
I bought an iMac today at an apple store, all they had me do was log into my schools webpage and that was it. Don't think this helps you any but just letting other students know its that easy.

OP
V
Reaction score
Thanks - the reason I booked over the phone rather than net is because I was getting around £100 more off over the phone.

Well I'm posting this reply on my 12-hour young (since I got it anwyay) MBP so cheers for all the help!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.