Problem with ethernet board after installing RAM and upgrading from 10.2.8 to 10.3.5

Reaction score
I have an older imac (indigo - all in one style). cd rw. G3

I utilized comp usa's tech help and they walked me through installing new RAM which was way easy. However, they disclaimed themselves from responsibility if static electicity blew out my motherboard, etc.

I installed the RAM and everything was fine. Right afterwards I upgraded to Panther. The upgrade seemed fine - didn't loose any favorites or applications, etc. EXCEPT - I couldn't get onto the internet.

After repeated calls to sbcglobal tech help, I was advised I had computer problems and was referred back to Compusa tech help. They walked me through a second install of the new software, looked at the internet options and decided it was a hardware problem and that the ethernet board was blown out! And, of course, they had warned me so it just might not be covered.

They had me ground by touching my hand to the steel mesh material surrounding the opening to the RAM cards. I've put many RAM cards into computers before and never had this problem.

I guess I'm wondering if anyone has another suggestion of what might be the problem. And if anyone else has had this static electricity problem when installing RAM themselves.

I believe it was determiend that it was a hardware problem because when reviewing the existing internet connections both the ethernet and the modem options have a red light next to them.

The error code next to the red light for the ethernet (which is what my imac uses) says that it is not plugged in - but, of course, I've double checked the connections quite a few times......

OP
Y
Reaction score
??

Hmmm, no because it is over my head. I did look at the article of the link. Is the ethernet connected to pram in some way? Also the battery's involvement?

I did try to take the battery out when I put in the RAM - but stopped because I wasn't sure I'd be able to put a new one back in - too far of a reach. Could it be that the battery just isn't in tight enough now?

Could you please explain more? I'm willing to try.

Reaction score
The battery holds information about the computer's guts when it is turned off. In ancient times, computers didn't have batteries and the first thing you did when booted up your KayPro was tell it what time it was. When the battery dies that info is lost; or most commonly, corrupted. Parameter ram holds all kinds of stuff including ethernet settings. Zapping the pram is harmless, fun, and it might fix the problem!
On most iMac models replacing the battery is a real pain, you end having to remove the plastic housing after you drop the thing inside! But dead or not, zapping the pram might straighten out your ethernet until you shut down again.

OP
Y
Reaction score
got on the internet but need to update KEYCHAIN

well, more and more people were responding to my posts and saying that it was highly doubtful that my ethernet board went bad. so, I got a new ethernet cable and hit the computer again. I figured out a way to manually connect and got onto the internet.

When I try to connect using browsers though it does not work. SBCglobal tech said I need to adjust the settings in the Keychain but he couldn't tell me how.

does anyone know anything about this?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.