Software Update-won't download software

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
I'm having some issues with Software Update. It tells me there are are updates I need to install. I start the process and get and error message (-3001). I can however go to apple.com and get the updates there without any problem... I can also log into another user with administration rights and update works fine.... I would like to be able to do it right from my user account. Any advice? Apple Care had me try a few things....but nothing helped.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Australain Macworld magazine (do a Google) suggest we should NOT use Software Update to download updates, but rather go directly to the Apple web site using the URL and download from there.

Download from Apple, run Repair Permissions, install making sure antivirus disabled, if used, and no extra hardware connected, run Repair Permissions again and let us know how you went?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
I also now recommend as harryb suggests.

Have seen a few problems here in the last year due to using Software Update and something just didn't go quite right. Of all the many updates I did using that method for almost a year, finally had one that created a minor problem that was solved by downloading and installing the update. This is the method I use now.

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
I tried your recommendations and still nothing helps. I spent 2 hours on the phone with AppleCare and nothing. They suggested moving everything to another user account.... I think I'm better off just downloading right from apple.com. Thanks for your help.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.