Imac Won't Boot

M

Matman34

I have 2 CRT imacs (1 tray & 1 slot loader) both with the same problem. Press the power button, the solid green light comes on and the POST chime sounds. The hard drive starts to spin and then after 3 seconds they switch themselves off before anything happens on the screen.
When I try to reboot, the solid green light comes on, no POST chime and no hard drive action until I physically remove and replug the power cable. Then it starts again. I have zapped the PRAM, pressed the PMU switch, replaced the HD, replaced the PRAM battery to no avail. Also, they won't boot from a CD.

Has anyone else had this problem?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24" 2.66 C2D, 13" MacBook i7 2.9GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 4
Matman34 said:
I have 2 CRT imacs (1 tray & 1 slot loader) both with the same problem. Press the power button, the solid green light comes on and the POST chime sounds. The hard drive starts to spin and then after 3 seconds they switch themselves off before anything happens on the screen.
When I try to reboot, the solid green light comes on, no POST chime and no hard drive action until I physically remove and replug the power cable. Then it starts again. I have zapped the PRAM, pressed the PMU switch, replaced the HD, replaced the PRAM battery to no avail. Also, they won't boot from a CD.

I had the same problem with a PowerMac 7600, it was the power supply that went out. After I replaced it, it worked great.

Did you experience any commercial power problems before the computers started doing this? Did they both start doing this at the same time?

OP
M

Matman34

Thought it might be :mad:

They happened at different times but the power supply to the whole building is eratic at the best of times. Also, I don't have any spare iMacs to steal PSU units from.

Thanks very much for the pointer.

All the best

Matman

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.