VMWare fusion

Reaction score
HI all, just wanted to know if anyone is running VMware fusion yet- and if so, have they felt the need to upgrade RAM to run the additional environments?

BTW what is the maximum ram that a MBpro will recognise? I see it takes up to 4GB in total.

Thanks in advance.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
uMBP 2.66/4GB/320GB; iMac 2.66Ghz/4GB/320GB; Apple TV; Black iPhone 3G 16GB
I'm running XP Pro under VMware w/ 4GB of RAM on a white Macbook. On the other hand, my fiancee is running Vista w/ 2GB of RAM under VMware on her white Macbook.

For me, it runs beautifully and has no issues whatsoever except w/ iSight--occasionally it will take control of the iSight and will not release it back to Mac OS X. I've confirmed this on hers as well and the best solution is to turn off iSight in VMWare so that Windows doesn't use it.

The nice thing about VMware is you have control over virtually everything from memory size to USB ports. I allocate 1GB to XP and my fiancee gives 1GB to Vista. She hates Vista but it was cheaper to buy OEM $99 copy of Vista Basic than a copy of XP Home Ed.

The new MBPs will handle 4GB (as do the Macbooks). 4GB can be had for around $100 or so if you look hard enough.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 5.1 | iMac 7.1 | iMac 12.1 | iMac 19.1 | iPhone 11 Pro | Watch s5
I have 2GB and give 256MB to XP in VMware. Runs great for what I do... CRM and other boring business tasks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
I run XP on Fusion with 512MG (of my 2GB total) RAM allocated to it. Both XP and OS X run fine.

FYI: The older MBP's like mine (2.16 and 2.33 GHz processors) can only handle 3GB of RAM.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2.2GHz Santa Rosa Macbook Pro - 4GB Ram - 120GB HD OS X Leopard - Windows XP
I use fusion to boot my bootcamp partition. Works great when I want to quickly get something off windows and don't want to reboot. I have 4gb of ram and allocated 2 for Leopard and 2 for xp.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
I use fusion to boot my bootcamp partition. Works great when I want to quickly get something off windows and don't want to reboot. I have 4gb of ram and allocated 2 for Leopard and 2 for xp.

Honestly, 2GB is probably way more than XP needs. Unless you're doing some really heavy work on it, 1GB is probably more than enough. Just an FYI.

Reaction score
I'm running Vista Ultimate in Bootcamp and Fusion boots it from that partition. I like IE 7.0 so I use that as the browser of choice and I use Outlook for my e-mail so I bring them up in spearate windows in OSX. I have a 2.4 ghz 4GB MBP.

Reaction score
I use VM Fusion and Parallels - both for XP Pro. I have 2 GB of RAM. I would be increasing the RAM to 4GB if my model could take it - especially as memory is so cheap at the moment.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2.2GHz Santa Rosa Macbook Pro - 4GB Ram - 120GB HD OS X Leopard - Windows XP
Honestly, 2GB is probably way more than XP needs. Unless you're doing some really heavy work on it, 1GB is probably more than enough. Just an FYI.
2GB is way too much for XP ;D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
uMBP 2.66/4GB/320GB; iMac 2.66Ghz/4GB/320GB; Apple TV; Black iPhone 3G 16GB
Agreed. I only allocate 1GB to it b/c I run Office '07 and a few other apps at the same time. 2GB is overkill for XP but good if you're running Vista.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.