Restart problem

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, MacBook, iPhone & div.
Hi
I an having a problem where i get the gray screen telling me to restart i have done a disc check and repair what could be the source?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)
That's a Kernel Panic (do some research on that by using the MF search). It's usually a hardware issue (RAM or something) though it can be software as well. It usually follows after there has been some drastic change in your system. What software did you install? Did you add in RAM, anything?

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have put in new RAM but i had the problem before I also have downloaded Candybar, Gimp & xACT

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
If you have more than one stick of RAM, try one at a time and see if that solves the problem. You'll know the other one is bad.
If it doesn't matter which stick of RAM is in the machine, it's probably time to take it in to your nearest Apple store.

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It happened again in the report to apple window there was something about airport and seeing as im downloading and on the net i think thats probably the problem so i do i fix it? and i only put ram in yesterday and its been doing the for a few weeks now.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 17" 1Ghz G4  iPhone 3G  10.5.5
Is the Airport card working ok?
You can check System Profile and Console in the Utilities folder. (card itself and logs)
Also, try Disk Utility and repair permissions and Verify disk.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air | iPad | iPhone | iPod Classic | iPod Shuffle | no more money
If you have more than one stick of RAM, try one at a time and see if that solves the problem. You'll know the other one is bad.
If it doesn't matter which stick of RAM is in the machine, it's probably time to take it in to your nearest Apple store.

It happened again in the report to apple window there was something about airport and seeing as im downloading and on the net i think thats probably the problem so i do i fix it? and i only put ram in yesterday and its been doing the for a few weeks now.

Did you try bobtomay's advice?

It's pretty amazing what faulty RAM can mess with.

You say that you only just added the RAM and that problems pre-date this - there is no reason to assume that the existing RAM isin't the problem. You want to try running your system on one of the sticks - try the old one and the new one seperately to see how your system goes.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
With an error log indicating the Airport Atheros, it is probably not the RAM... but I would still check out independent sticks, the RAM needs to be ruled out and testing is the only way to do that.

Once you have ruled out the RAM.....

Are you running Tiger or Leopard?

If Tiger, have you done all the Software Updates?
There was an issue with earlier Tiger versions and the Airport card that was taken care of by one of the updates. I forget which one, but had the issue on my MBP.

If you are running Leopard, and you're under warranty... take it back to your Apple store.

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Is the Airport card working ok?
You can check System Profile and Console in the Utilities folder. (card itself and logs)
Also, try Disk Utility and repair permissions and Verify disk.

I did a Disk check and repair before i put the RAM in and i not sure what i need to check for on the airport card

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If you are running Leopard, and you're under warranty... take it back to your Apple store.

I bought it from the apple.ch site and there are now apple stores here n switzerland they just have a store witch is a premium dealer, what would have to do for the warranty?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 17" 1Ghz G4  iPhone 3G  10.5.5
Have you tried the Apple Hardware test?
Hold "d" during startup or "option" and select it. Depending on the Mac you have, it could also be on the Install disk.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.