Newly Switched - Saying Hello and a Few Questions

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod
Greetings everyone. I just purchased my first Mac, a 14" iBook, two days ago. It hasn't taken me too long to get somewhat familiar with it, and I absolutely love it. I do have a few questions though.

First, I've had some trouble playing some of my old MPEG's. Videos that were 30 min. on my PC will only play the first 50 sec. or so on my iBook. How can I remedy this?

Also, I'm used to the defrag and disk utilities in Windows. It doesn't seem that Jaguar has these features, except for the First Aid disk program. What else can/should I do to keep my Mac's HD in optimum shape.

Finally, I'd like to add some RAM, but I've heard that some manufacturers' RAM has some sort of "firmware" problems. What is the best RAM for my iBook?

Thanks for any help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display
Well, your MPEG problem, can be fixed by downloading VLC check www.versiontracker.com it will be there.

OSX or pretty much any macintosh OS doesnt require a Defrag. But there is System Optimizer which optimizes your system. There is another application.. i forgot its name.. Somthing disk i think ( :D )

Hmm, buy RAM from either apple, mac warehouse, small dog, or a mac seller.

Others will have more to add im shur :)

CONGRATS TO THE NEW MAC!

OP
Padawan
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod
Thanks a lot for telling me about VLC - all my MPEG's play fine on it now. The System Optimizer sounds good - where would I find it in OSX? I've looked all throughout it and I can't seem to locate it or the other mysterious disk program ;) Thanks for your help though - I was a little upset about my MPEG's before.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
imac 2.16ghz 2gb ram 250gb HD
my understanding of macs was that you dont need to defrag as they actually have self scheduled maintainence routines that run overnight. This is one of the reasons your encouraged to put your mac to sleep and not power down. a mac that is continually powered down overnight may miss self maintainence.

i think

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Well if you are worried about the macs self maintenance routines. You can always down one of these two apps.

Onyx
http://www.titanium.free.fr/pgs/english.html

Main Menu
http://www.santasw.com/

Both them are quite good at cleaning up your system, and optimising it's performance.

For ram I'd have a look out for a good quality brand like Crucial or Kingston two examples and buy them from a good third party seller. As all of the above have said that's much better them from Apple.

And I would seriously think about upgrading to Panther (OS 10.3). It migtht take a long while to install but after that it should run very well and in my opinion is much better then the 10.2 you are using now.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MacBook 2.4GHz/4GB Ram/320GB HD
I'm running two 2gb sticks of Mushkin ram in my MacBook. One stick is rated/testing for Macs, and the other is just plain PC memory. Both cost me $40 a piece and I've had zero problems with them.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook/iphone/ipod nano/ipod shuffle
wow this is an old thread. started back in july of 2003

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MacBook 2.4GHz/4GB Ram/320GB HD
lol Guess it pays to be observant! :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.