how to display east asian characters?

Reaction score
Hi all!

I have some music files (whose names are in korean) on my external hard drive. When I open this music folder in Windows I can read the names of the files, and there is no problem with encoding. However in Mac the names are unreadable (some unusual characters like +< etc.). When I change the system language to Korean and login to Mac everything is OK. But is it possible to show this characters properly without changing the system language? Since I like to use mac in english, I don't want to change the system language to korean only to be able to read those file names.

Thanx for dropping by my post.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.0GHz C2D 1GBRAM 120GBHDD Red Apple Logo. :)
Hi all!

I have some music files (whose names are in korean) on my external hard drive. When I open this music folder in Windows I can read the names of the files, and there is no problem with encoding. However in Mac the names are unreadable (some unusual characters like +< etc.). When I change the system language to Korean and login to Mac everything is OK. But is it possible to show this characters properly without changing the system language? Since I like to use mac in english, I don't want to change the system language to korean only to be able to read those file names.

Thanx for dropping by my post.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Hmmm. Not sure when exactly the problem is. I run my Macbook in English OS and have both Japanese and Korean music floating around my music folder. Ripped a SE7EN CD into my computer with iTunes and the .mp3 file names are in their proper Korean.

...If you can boot the OS in Korean, you'd have to have the Korean Language pack installed. Hmmm, not sure what the deal is. Sorry I couldn't be of more help other than telling you it can be done!! Haha.

I am thinking your problem might be that it is an external drive. What is the formating of the drive? Cause I know one of the formats does not play nice with OS X. That could be the issue. Either that or try copying a CD to your HD and see if the file names appear appropriately. Other than that, I am out of ideas.

GOOD LUCK! ;)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.