2.66 Mac Pro with no sound output from rear audio out jack. . .

Reaction score
This has been my third tech question I have had to ask on this site due to my new mac pro. I will also say that I am in the process of moving and that I don't really use it right now, I mostly just use my fully functional Macbook.

Okay, on to the problem.

I only get audio when I plug my speakers into the front headphone jack. It is pretty annoying to have to plug it in there and I would like to try and figure this problem out. I ran Garage Band and I set it up to work off the rear jack but I cant seem to get it to run natively on all other programs. I have a sweet set of Klipsch speakers that I want to listen to, please some one help me.

I am currently running tiger and will shortly be making the switch to Leopard, would this be a factor or something else?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Go to System Preferences and check settings are okay. If no success boot from the install DVD , go to Utilities and run Repair Permission s from there.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
There is a firmware update for this problem I believe. Since there are so many sound outputs for the Mac Pro you have to tell the Mac Pro which one to use. Go to system preferences> sound> output. Choose Line out. This should work.
I downloaded SoundSource. It's an app for the menu at the top. It lets you configure the sound without messing in preferences. All you do it click it in the menu and it has a drop down menu of a million and a half options. One click and you're done.

OP
snowmanZ
Reaction score
There is a firmware update for this problem I believe. Since there are so many sound outputs for the Mac Pro you have to tell the Mac Pro which one to use. Go to system preferences> sound> output. Choose Line out. This should work.
I downloaded SoundSource. It's an app for the menu at the top. It lets you configure the sound without messing in preferences. All you do it click it in the menu and it has a drop down menu of a million and a half options. One click and you're done.
Thank you for being so helpful. I will look into that program when I get back from leave.

thanks again

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.