MacBook won't read DVD's

Reaction score
Hi,

My MacBook has been giving me trouble lately with regard to reading DVDs. I'll insert a disc and it will make 3 attempts to read it, then it will automatically eject. Usually I can get it to eventually read it with a few tries. However, occasionally it takes 10-20 attempts to get it to read properly. Is this a known problem and if so, what can I do to fix it?

Thanks!

Reaction score
Yup, mine just started doing this. I bought Leopard and tried to upgrade but it wouldn't read the DVD, but it reads and writes CD's just fine. I'm upgrading mine to a SuperDrive next week. $149 fix... worth it to me.

OP
F
Reaction score
I already have the superdrive, and I have not changed the OS or anything significant. It just all of a sudden started ejecting the discs up to 20 times before it will read them.

Reaction score
I already have the superdrive, and I have not changed the OS or anything significant. It just all of a sudden started ejecting the discs up to 20 times before it will read them.

Hallo Firebird,
did you solve your problem with the SuperDrive? Mine has also started having the same simptoms.
Thank you for your help

Reaction score
I had that problem appear for no reason... at least I hadn't made any changes to anything. The end solution was buying a new superdrive and putting it in. Problem solved.... Sorry to say but it looks like you need a new drive.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.